PC Hardware forum

General discussion

When do you know that a RAM upgrade is good?

by psaulm119 / March 30, 2009 2:08 PM PDT

I just upgraded to 2 1-gig sticks of RAM for my Dimension 1501. Not having upgraded RAM before, I'm not sure how long to keep my old 512-meg sticks, before I know that the new RAM is good. the task manager tells me that I have 1.964 megs total, so the system is reading it now--but I'm wondering what kind of a grace period I should give it, before I ebay the two smaller sticks for 10 bucks or so. Is it a matter of, if it works it will work, period? Or should I wait a couple of weeks, or a month, before ebaying the stuff I took out?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: When do you know that a RAM upgrade is good?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: When do you know that a RAM upgrade is good?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Test the RAM thoroughly using any of the several
by VAPCMD / March 30, 2009 10:23 PM PDT

(free) RAM testing programs available on the WEB.

Assuming it passes, then dispose of the existing RAM as desired.

Collapse -
OK Found one
by psaulm119 / March 30, 2009 11:15 PM PDT

I downloaded this-- http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ Memtest. It says to let it run overnight for the most full results. I'll do that tonight and see what it says.

So far, my system seems a slight bit quicker--slight, but noticeable. And I haven't had Google Chrome take 10 seconds to minimize/maximize either, as it does after several hours of use (which is why I upgraded my ram). So far so good.

Collapse -
(NT) Good to hear !
by VAPCMD / March 30, 2009 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: OK Found one
Collapse -
Found a better one---one pass only but it says no errors
by psaulm119 / March 31, 2009 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Good to hear !

Well I couldn't wait till tonight, so I just did one pass. Happy It says no errors.

I found one called mem86+ that required a reboot--supposedly that can check more ram than an exe test from within Windows.

Anyways, thanks for the recommendation with no evidence of problems and a no-error test I'll ebay it later today. The RAM that I got was cheap enough--35 bucks for 2 one-gig sticks--but if I can bring that figure down further any, by selling my old stuff, all the better.

Collapse -
Good to hear.. and I like Memtest86+ also. It's an old
by VAPCMD / March 31, 2009 11:59 AM PDT

Collapse -
One thing's for sure....
by psaulm119 / April 5, 2009 12:44 AM PDT

I've heard some techies say that increasing your RAM won't speed up your system. Based on my own experience that is entirely false.

I've noticed a definite upgrade a few years ago, after increasing my desktop's RAM by only 256 megs (from 512 to over 700 megs); and now by doubling my laptop's RAM from 1 to 2 gigs I have gone 3 days without a reboot and my browser is still running like I just started it (before, it would slowly melt down my screen when I minimized it). I've definitely noticed an improvement.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?