The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

When did you first get XP and Why?

by NewOrderrr / August 14, 2006 10:20 AM PDT

My first XP machine had an OEM cd and was built at a comp show in spring 2003. (Athlon 1800+, 256mb DRAM) I got XP because it was already out for a while and friends said it was worth the upgrade with if I had more RAM. I had Win ME at work.

My previous machine to that had 98SE preinstalled and I didn't want to drop cash into it to boost performance to use XP reliably. (IBM Aptiva, AMD K6/475, 128mb SDRAM)

I worked hard to get it to look like the 'classic' interface. (double click icons, 'old' start menu, using the folder tree in explorer, etc.)

Favorite aspect of XP vs. 98? Not having to partition large hard drives, having a 'folder' button on the explorer toolbar, and having search open in explorer instead of as a 'popup'.

Comments can be a good guage of adpotion of Vista.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: When did you first get XP and Why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: When did you first get XP and Why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by mattmoris / August 14, 2006 10:39 AM PDT

I first got XP in late 2001. I actually got it off of my friends Dell lol. At the time, OEM licenses would work on more than one computer so both him and I were able to activate. I'm still using the same copy today and it passes Windows Genuine Advantage.

I got it because I heard that it was a lot more reliable than Windows ME, which I had before XP. At first I ran it on 64MB of RAM but when I made a trip to the US, I bought 256MB since it was cheaper there.

Right now, I don't see many advantages to upgrading to Vista so I probably won't do it as well. I don't think Vista will be any more stable than XP and that is most important to me.

Collapse -
I blame Dell.
by udayan71 / August 14, 2006 10:41 AM PDT

My first XP machine was a Dell Dimension 4700 but the first XP machine that entered the house was a Dell Inspiron 1000.

The Dimension has a 160GB HDD, 512MB RAM, a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 & precious little less.. no sound card, or video card or anything else. Oh, XP Home.

That old Inspiron had a 40GB HDD, 256MB RAM, a 1.4 GHz Celeron processor & not much more. Sadly, that machine is dead. It had Windows XP Home.

Finally, this may be useful; I didn't ever buy a retail copy of XP. If I ever get another Windows machine it'll be the cheapest, nastiest box and I'll throw Ubuntu onto it at the first boot. Most likely, Windows will be phased out for Mac in my home.

Collapse -
I agree Senor Ud
by Jonathan.C / August 15, 2006 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: I blame Dell.

my first run-in with xp came in fall of 2001 when i got my first lappy (Dell Inspiron 8100)...except it came with windows ME...so i thought "***^^"...but it wasnt till a friend "gave me" a copy of XP pro 2 weeks later...heh...

then in 2005 i got a hp dv1000 that came with XP home...a simple upgrade with an existing copy of pro was all i needed. Either way i plan to sell it so that i can get a mac

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) good to see you following Kevin & I :D
by udayan71 / August 15, 2006 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree Senor Ud
Collapse -
I blame Cnet forums.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2006 2:30 PM PDT

How else could I keep my little 'm'?

Bob

Collapse -
When my old Win 98 Gateway finally died
by cardsbb9 / August 14, 2006 3:49 PM PDT

I replaced it with a cheapie E-Machine ($350).

Later I bought the Toshiba Tablet, so the E-Machine became my 'file server'.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) When I could not play Diablo on my WIndows For Workgrou
by Dirty Pirate / August 14, 2006 4:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) When I replaced my computer (2003)
by harrietj / August 15, 2006 12:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Many moons ago. Leprechaun told me to.
by csliva11 / August 15, 2006 4:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
Apple forced me to get XP
by SilasC / August 15, 2006 4:37 AM PDT

I had to get XP because I got a third gen iPod for Christmas. Unfortunately, I had to get a Firewire PCI card and have either 2000 or XP. I had ME (I know, I know) at the time, so XP home it was. The $300 gift turned out to be more like $600.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?