Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Whats the fuss about 1080p?

by bkchurch / January 10, 2007 12:12 PM PST

I'm hearing all this crap about 1080p being so great but is 1080p really so great? From what I understand 1080p and 720p are indistinguishable on sets <50", and sets 50" and up the difference in pretty small. Am I totally wrong here? Is 1080p really that much of an improvement? Would there be any difference in detail between a 50" 1080p set and 42" 720p set, or would the picture look just as good only on a smaller?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Whats the fuss about 1080p?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Whats the fuss about 1080p?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only time will tell
by Dan Filice / January 10, 2007 1:38 PM PST

We need to wait until more people on this forum get native 1080p TVs and connect native 1080p sources, like Blu-Ray or HD-DVD players, then they will post and tell us. It doesn't count connecting a 1080p DVD player to a 720p or 1080i TV. Looking at a setup like this for 10 minutes in a retail store isn't time enough for a critical evaluation. In theory, if you connect a 1080p source to a 1080p TV, it should look better. The "p" is the important part of the equation as this tells us that we will see a full 1080 lines of video information for every frame of video.

Collapse -
Isn't it a better question to compare 1080i and 1080p?
by kctobyjoe / January 10, 2007 11:58 PM PST

While I cannot tell you an answer to your question, I would think it would be a better question to ask if there is a noticable difference between a 1080i and a 1080p signal. Right? I mean, you want to compare apples to apples (albeit two different kinds of apples), so it should be a single source seen on a 1080i and then a 1080p. Also to compare to different sizes (especialy such a large difference in size as you suggest) would also make your judgment more difficult. I would think that say a 60" will have a slight difference, but will it really matter in the long run?

They way I look at it is this; you will never be comparing your t.v. to another one side-by-side other than in a store. Even if you watch it for several months at home, it is impossible to "remember" what the other sets truely looked like, and then make a judgement.

I plan on buying a 60" 1080p Sony in a few months. I figure that since I am going to hook up a PS3 to it, I might as well jump all the way into the pool. As stated, maybe after more people have owned them for awhile, they can make comments.

Collapse -
Well, i'm not going to use 1080i
by bkchurch / January 11, 2007 8:41 AM PST

I plan on playing games on my HDTV, so an interlaced picture just ain't gonna cut it, I need progressive scan. That's why i'm more concerned on the difference between 720p and 1080p. That's also why I compared the different sizes, a 50" 1080p TV theoretically should show more detail than a 42" 720p TV. But the question is does it? Or do both look equally as good and the 50" just has more room to display that detail while the extra pixels from the 1080p fill up the room from the extra 8". I know it's worded kinda confusing sorry.

Collapse -
I absolutely agree.
by MultiMuse / January 11, 2007 11:45 PM PST

I just got a 57" DLP Mitsubishi that has 1080P, and have many various sources hooked up to it (home theater), including Xbox 360 game console with HD DVD peripheral, and a Media Center PC.

What I can say is the 1080P looks pristine, as does the 720P, but the disappointing thing for me is that very few video games have the 1080P option. If they are HD, they are usually only 720P or in a too few titles only 1080i. I agree that interlaced doesn't cut it, especially for fast moving images like in action game titles or sports sims.

One good reason I chose 1080P (while waiting for games to catch up) is because I often do split screen (my model does side-by-side with individual scalability in each half window) on my nice model DLP HD TV. I think in that scenario the extra resolution produces superior viewability in both sub-screens.

Also I think that the bigger the screen dimensions, the more likely one is to notice the resolution differences between 720P and 1080P, no? Just as it was the case with old tech low-res SD TVs. You could notice the separate scan lines easier on the larger TVs (27"), but not so much on smaller screens (13")

Collapse -
Nah, ya gots it backwards.
by MultiMuse / January 12, 2007 12:23 AM PST

Comparing progressive scan to interlaced, is comparing apples to lemons.

The question at hand, which is of great concern to buying decisions, is whether or not the premium price you'd pay for 1080P TVs can be justified by seeing this diff between 720P and 1080P. By my calcitrations, that's a 360 unit diff, or 50% of the 720P resolution! Not an insignificant consideration. The problemation is the dire lack of 1080P video content (especially on sat/cable), and most video games.

Comparing progressive scan to progressive scan options is comparing bananas to bananas... says this chimp.
Wink

Collapse -
Marketing FUD what it is, as Yoda would say.
by jcrobso / January 11, 2007 1:22 AM PST

I have a 47" CRT-RP is scans a 540p for SD video, 720p and 1080i.
It is very hard to tell the difference between 720p and 1080i, only on fast moving images can you really tell the difference. 720p looks cleaner on fast moving images as dose 1080p.
The quality of the source material is FAR more important than the 720p or 1080i/p of the HDTV set.
HD-DVD/B-Ray DVDs should look good on 720p as well as 1080i/p sets. ONLY HD-DVD/B-Ray will have the ability to supply a 1080p image.
OTA, Cable and DirectTV/Dish will be 1080i max.
I feel that 1080i sets will fade from the market and there will only be 720p and 1080p sets by the end of '07 or early '08.
With a 42" set telling the difference between 720p and 1080i/p will not be easy. John

Collapse -
I HAVE THE PROOF
by stewart norrie / January 11, 2007 2:29 AM PST

Like I have posted before. I have a new Blue Ray 1080P player and on my 72 D.l.p Toshiba which clames 1080P I can see little difference between 1080I or P Actually 1080I gives a theater quality picture so why all this fuss about 1.3 etc. What are you all waiting for something that will give you mabey 5% better picture quality stewee

Collapse -
As stated above
by bkchurch / January 11, 2007 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: I HAVE THE PROOF

I don't care about 1080i, 720p and 1080p are all that matters. As far as i'm concerned I need progressive scan to get the most fluid gaming experience. I'm well aware 1080i and 1080p look pretty much the same but i'm not so sure about the differences between 720p and 1080p.

Collapse -
The nice part about 1080P
by analyzerbunny / January 11, 2007 3:12 AM PST

...Is that it keeps the prices nice and low on the 720p televisions out there. I just picked up two 40in Samsung 720p LCD tvs for the low low price of $1200 each at Circuit City. The picture is beautiful, the TV itself is a work of art and since I probably wont see any 1080p content come through the wires for the forseeable future, I think I can live with my purchase.

I bought an upconverting DVD player and honestly Its nearly impossible to see the difference between it and my old progressive scan 480p. Im running composite cables...I wonder if piping the upconverted signal through HDMI will make a difference, anyone have first hand experience with this?

Collapse -
AERO TRY BOTH
by stewart norrie / January 11, 2007 8:05 AM PST

From my experience, I hooked up my Sony d.v.d. player with componit vidio cables and the picture was horrible, I also tried 2 different players using componit cables No help. I then bought a Denon with d.v.i. and h.d.m.i. output hooked up the h.d.m.i. output and problem solved beautiful picture. But fact is you should try both componit and h.d.m.i. cables one will work best for you good luck stewee

Collapse -
What game system will you use?
by Dan Filice / January 11, 2007 1:42 PM PST
In reply to: AERO TRY BOTH

Will you use a newer 1080p gaming system? If so, it kind of makes sense that a 1080p TV would give the best image because no scaling would occur. It seems to me that a 720p TV, although having a very good picture, would need to scale the 1080p signal to 720p and to me, any scaling might adversely affect the image. I would think this would apply regardless of the size of your display, although a 42" display will make any scaling artifacts smaller than a 50+ size, so it might be difficult to see much difference on a 42" 720p set. I would think that on a 50" + 720p set, you would see more artifacts because the lines of resolution are futher apart. On a large set with 1080p, you not only have more lines of resolution, but it would be native to a 1080p game system.

Collapse -
yeah, not so much difference
by MultiMuse / January 12, 2007 12:14 AM PST

yeah, I also got (at Beast Buy for around $100) an LG (brand)progressive scan, upconverter DVR, (which includes multi-format storage card reader!) but I can't tell the difference on old skool DVDs. That includes when using the HDMI to HDMI ports on DVR and TV, or the RGB component cables. Sad If you believe all the advertising hype, the upconversion will allegedly make all your old DVDs look so much more "Wow!", but... NOT. For Hi-res I've got HD DVD player and disks too.

The good thing for me is that it is a real-time source video recorder to CD-R or CD-RW, and it plays slide shows off my SD chip cards smooth as silk. I imagine it would also play audio files on the SD cards, in formats like MP3 and WMA, to my 5.1 surround sound amp (albeit in stereo, perhaps mirrored to rear speakers too).

Collapse -
The upconverting DVD players ONLY upconvert the HDMI output.
by jcrobso / January 12, 2007 12:35 AM PST

The component output is not unconverted. John

Collapse -
DVR help
by tjhenrik / February 17, 2007 4:58 AM PST

I need a DVD player to tide us over until we figure out this blu ray thingy for our new 65 inch Mits DLP. I would like to find one that can upconvert to 1080p but might also allow me to record onto discs from our camcorder through a DVI connection. I think I have found 1080i upconversion/recording abilities in a few models (LG & Oppos) and have found 1080p upconversion in some (Oppos), but is there any models that can do both??

T

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!