PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Whats the deal with all the OEM junk out there?

by czvo024 / January 7, 2006 9:39 AM PST

Its virtually impossible for me right now to find any high end retail western digital hardrives anywhere; both internet and brick stores. Anyone one have any suggestions? Were all of them hijacked by pirates or something?

Can anyone with a straight face proclaim love for OEM hardrives? Because I cant, its too risky for such a danty component.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Whats the deal with all the OEM junk out there?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Whats the deal with all the OEM junk out there?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's wrong with an OEM drive from places
by Ray Harinec / January 7, 2006 10:38 AM PST

such as newegg??? They are brand new drives, without the Fancy useless box, mounting screws and a ribbon cable. Check, the Seagate OEM's as an example they have the same 5 year warranty as the retail drives. Most people already have enough cables to populate a few systems. many prefer to buy the round cables.

I think that you may be confused with "pulls" they are components removed from complete systems that didn't sell and now are passed up by newer systems.

You should be able to get any WD, Seagate, Maxtor, Fujitsu drive from newegg, Mwave, or many other places.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Rounded cables are better for air flow.
by ineedatv12345 / January 7, 2006 5:09 PM PST
Collapse -
Forgot to include that most people
by Ray Harinec / January 7, 2006 11:18 AM PST

that purchase things such as a hard drive are somewhat computer knowledgeable and want the best price. They have no need for the box and the floppy disk that comes with a retail boxed drive. They know that if they want that, they can simply go to the mfrs site and download the files for that floppy.

Newegg and such can buy cases of the drives they sell as OEM directly from places like WD etc for a much lower price. They are fully warranted drives from the drive mfr.

Collapse -
I love OEM its just cheaper
by HotRoderX / January 7, 2006 12:09 PM PST

I love OEM HD Drives. I don?t need the Cables my Motherboard came with plenty. Also stay away from Western Digital. My buddies runs a small tech shop and has had to send 6 of there drives back so far 2 80gigs out of a system he built for a client and he's had to send back his 2 Raptor 4 times now. This has happened in the past 9 months. I personally use Maxtor Diamond Max 9 Drives for the past 2 years in my system and love them. Got both of them when SATA was still new and only had 1 problem within the first 2 weeks of getting them one of the drives had the SATA interface on it fail but I figured that was ok due to how new SATA was to the public and Maxtor Cross shipped me a new drive while I sent in my damaged drive. One other thing I will mention is that Western Digital does offer a longer warranty period on there drives. But it also took my buddies 2 months to get his drives back after sending them in for warranty repairs.

Collapse -
O.E.M. Means
by rmblue2 / January 7, 2006 12:40 PM PST

Original Equipment Manufacter's! It what Dell, Gateway, H.P., and almost everyone like myself that builds his or hers own computer use. It's defenatly not junk. Like the person in the previous thread said, all you are doing is paying more for a fancy packaging box, and ribbon cable.

Collapse -
warrantees
by czvo024 / January 8, 2006 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: O.E.M. Means

then why is there warrantee's between OEM and retail if there are no reliablity diferences?

Collapse -
For the hard drives there are no differences
by Ray Harinec / January 8, 2006 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: warrantees

in warranties, simply read. The stuff that you are looking at are most likely "pulls" . When you see a warranty difference you can bet they are "pulls", basically legally considered to be "used".

For items such as the Retail boxed CPU's versus New unboxed CPU's the difference is because the Retail boxed CPU's come with a HSF that meets the CPU mfrs specs. Thus they can feel certain that the CPU was likely properly cooled. Buying the CPU separately does not assure the warranter that the CPU was cooled at all.

The vendors that sell pulls probably operate on a very small margin and may not even still be in business after 90 days, and yes the pulls have been handled and may even be used. Thus the one activity that can degrade the reliablitiy of a solid state device [or most any other device] is to have a human handle them.

For our reliability calculations for a manufactured assembly we used the reliability for all of the parts combined and then divided that in half to provide the "On Dock" reliability. Solely to account for all of the possible mishandling.

Collapse -
OEM is junk IMO
by czvo024 / January 8, 2006 2:43 AM PST

ive bought a bunch of various OEM products from newegg, and many have been DOA. i wouldnt consider buying OEM anywhere else than newegg. i agree with reviewers on the newegg product review sections that pose the argument that quality control standards are lower with WD OEM products. these drives only come with an anti static bag that provides no physical protection what so ever. i dont feel like having a drive that works for a year then dies, losing all my stuff, then get dicked around on the RMA.

Collapse -
money is no object for me
by czvo024 / January 8, 2006 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: OEM is junk IMO

let me add that also. i like the illusion of reliablity, and lack of finger prints, and lack of dust and hairs when I buy retail.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL,
by Ray Harinec / January 8, 2006 4:45 AM PST
Collapse -
You are rather wrong on the drive
by Ray Harinec / January 8, 2006 4:44 AM PST

subject. They come wrapped in bubble wrap. The warranty is coverwed by the drive mfr. If you don't have a proof of purchase the mfr simply goes by the date of manufacture on the drive. WD promises a 7 day turn around on a failed drive from the time that they receive it in their receiving dock. Saw another post around here claiming it was weeks. I'll bet it was because the user returned it by some slow shippng method.

In eight years and many computers, I have returned two WD drives and they bettered the turn around time both times. I now use Seagate drives simply because of their 5 year warranty.

I have bought a few thousand $ worth of stuff from newegg. Zero DOAs, one video card where the analog out supported the full resolution but the digital otput wouldn't.

You paint a sorry picture of newegg and make me wonder why you continue to buy from them.

If you have drives frequently failing in a year, I recommend that you check the temperature that they are running at, and/or stop people from kicking the tower while the drive is running.

Collapse -
interesting...
by czvo024 / January 8, 2006 5:23 AM PST

How do you feel about seagate then? I still like WD becuase I have had no problems on any retail's HD's.

Well its love hate with Newegg IMO. Newegg is like the drug dealer with the best product and prices, and there really isn?t an equivalent competitor. Newegg fills 66% of my needs, and they are the best for the purpose they serve me. The rest goes to niche stores that have exclusive or novel components.

Of the OEM drives that I purchased from Newegg, a raptor HD, DVD, and floppy, over three purchases. The floppy just lit up and that is it, the DVD wouldn?t even light up, and the raptor seized up a couple of hours into the burn in. I consider that quite a failure rate. I was pissed since the raptor I ordered came with a bunch of other stuff, and was just floating around in the antistatic bag in the shipping box. Newegg RMA is decent but I was burned when they would not do an online RMA with a mobo. I just returned the raptor for a refund.

I want to purchase a Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM. I wanted to feel around and see if it is worth the effort again.

Collapse -
Have you checked Mwave??
by Ray Harinec / January 8, 2006 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: interesting...

Yery top line outfit. Not the lowest prices though usually, but not too high. Legitimate shipping costs.

Collapse -
You can buy it bare,
by Ray Harinec / January 8, 2006 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: interesting...

the 400 GB, directly from the WD website for $250.00

Collapse -
400GB v 320GB
by czvo024 / January 8, 2006 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: You can buy it bare,

Im lookin at the Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB. This HD has sata300 and the 400GB is sata150 i believe. My new ASUS board has an sata300 contoller. From what ive read the Caviar SE16 is the next best HD to the 74GB raptor. The 320GB thats on newegg isnt even on the WD website so thats wierd.

Collapse -
Seems like you may be missing something.
by Dutchmants / January 9, 2006 1:10 AM PST

If you are experiencing widespread HD failures I would start wondering about things like the quality of your power or the power supplies being used to bulid your systems. I have had very good experience with newegg including a number of OEM drives. One other thing to note is that for a number of vendors these days retail drives only come with a one year gurantee the same drive purchased as a bare OEM drive will carry a 3-5 year gurantee. True the retail gurantee starts from the date you purchase the disk and the OEM version from the date of production but how many times do disk set on a retailes shelves for any lenthy of time?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!