General discussion

Whats the best processor I can get?

I am looking to get a new processor, my system is currently running a 2.5mhz P4, 1.5G DDR ram. I am looking at getting an AMD 64 and a new motherboard but I want to get the fastest that a new motherboard can handle. Does anyone know what speed that is?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Whats the best processor I can get?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Whats the best processor I can get?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
here it is...

AMD Athlon 64 (939) FX-55 1MB. That will be $1000 please.

AMD Athlon 64 (939) 3800+ 512KB. Or this for $500.

- Collapse -
Also....

A little less expensive:
AMD Athlon 64 (90nm Socket 939) 3500 (2.2 GHz) aprx $329 Retail, needs a Heatsink-fan, aprx $63 for a Thermalright XP-120 w/Vantex Stealth 120m.

If you are going Pent 4, then a Intel P4, 560 (3.6GHz) LGA 775 socket, aprx $449 Retail, comes with good Heatsink-fan.

For Intel setup motherboard for good gaming the ASUS P5AD2 Deluxe aprx $197 Retail. It has the i925x Northbridge and ICH6R Southbridge.

For AMD setup motherboard for good gaming the ASUS A8N - SLI, aprx $188. Has the NVidia nForce line of chipset for dual video cards, but only needs one GeForce 6800GT card for single to start out, then add another if later required for the future.

CNET Forums

Forum Info