Question

What's the best PC I should buy that can run 100+ programs?

Hi, newbie here. I'm looking to get a PC that can run around 96-128 instances of the same program at once. My current build (Windows 10 i7-4790k @ 4.00 GHZ, 24GB of RAM, Geforce GTX 750 Ti graphics.) currently can only run 24 instances, up from 16 when I upgraded my RAM from 8 to 24GB. Do I need a processor with more cores?
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: What's the best PC I should buy that can run 100+ programs?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What's the best PC I should buy that can run 100+ programs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I'm going to track this one.

Since even the usual quad core with HT is only 8 uninterrupted threads, I'd like to find such a PC today. For now I spread the load across a fleet of compute servers.

Let's see what you find that has it all in one box. Yes there are server racks but I think you are after something else here.

- Collapse -
Answer
Just curious

What happens when you try to run the 25th instance?

- Collapse -
It stops working properly

They will slowly start to lag/crash. The more I add the worst it gets.

- Collapse -
This was a known thing with SETI, Boinc, etc.

You find the happy spot of throughput for each machine. Need more? Build a cluster.

- Collapse -
Use task manager

What happens with memory usage and free memory as you add #20/21/22 etc?

I suspect your maxing out the ram and there is nothing to swap because everything is active.
The result..... windows is stuck.

- Collapse -
Plenty of Memory, CPU not so much.

I have plenty of RAM, so that's not the issue anymore. However the CPU usage does start to go up as I add more. I don't know how much of a benefit I would get with a stronger processor though.

- Collapse -
The stronger processor

Won't change the number of copies that will run. Only they may run faster. For SETI that's the goal. Not how many but throughput.

- Collapse -
Plenty of memory

What makes you say that?
Is it because you have 24GB?
Did you monitor it?

- Collapse -
Answer
contact SETI@home project

Because that's basically the same as what you seem interested in. Maybe they can clue you into how they do it. Certainly not a "newbie" project.

- Collapse -
Answer
You guys are way over my head but...

how about a stupid question from me..WHY?

- Collapse -
Let's take that SETI angle.

New to SETI users may think they can get more answers per PC by running more and more copies. At some point the PC tops out. The newer of the new want a class on general computing. Which may or may not happen.

I think they want the Marshall Amp system?

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: running 100+ instances

That depends on the resources needed by each instance. It wouldn't be any problem to run 100 copies of a program that do no more than writing one record a minute to their own logfile and then wait a minute to write the next. But it's quite impossible for a program that needs 60% of the CPU power to run satisfactorily; you can only run one instance of that.

CNET Forums

Forum Info