Laptops forum

General discussion

Whats next, is it worth waiting for?

Buying a laptop maybe pc maybe mac, I know there will always be new technology, but I can probably wait 6 months if there is anything coming out in that frame worth waiting for, quad core, or OS X leapord? Anyway wondering if I should just bite the bullet, or will I kick myself in the head a week after I buy it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Whats next, is it worth waiting for?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Whats next, is it worth waiting for?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vista or XP...

In reply to: Whats next, is it worth waiting for?

That would be one issue as Vista is supposed to come out Jan. 30th for consumers and so you may have to decide if you want that or not as well as the pre-installed question. Right now most laptops will have a coupon to get an upgrade version of Vista while in another few weeks you could get it pre-installed.

I doubt quad-core laptops will be out soon.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
Actually

In reply to: Vista or XP...

I know when concerning Apple or MAcintosh, there is always these magically amazing products that are suppose to be released. However the latest from the Mac Rumor Mill is that Apple is soon to release a Macbook that is ultra - thin, and takes advantage of Intel's quad core Architecture.

Now I would definately deny this. First off Apple hasn't even placed Quad core's in their desktop where it is easier to design around (cooling) and power consumption isn't as big as an issue. But to go straight to a laptop where cooling is crucial and power sucking is a deadly sin, would be crazy. I thought you two would be interested in thsi but I very much doubt and actually agree with JB that quad core laptops are a few months away.

Collapse -
Also

Like JB said Vista is the big thing in the pc world, along with the new Windows feature called Sideshow. This component seems to be catching on with companies who heavily rely on Microsoft, or companies that don't make a move without them. Companies like Dell and HP have yet to showcase laptop models with this feature which is interesting, it will be cool to see if this feature catches on. TWo more big news topping adancements both of which are not featured in most laptops, and if they are they are not availabe in laptops that are built for the thin and light or ultra portable market. They are Blu-Ray and HD DVD drives, these two are still locked in a battle for the next gen DVD format. Dell has sided with Blu-Ray with Apple and HP is HD-DVD with Microsoft. A product like this is far off, but then again with technology progressing we could see more of these drives as early as July, doubtful but possible.

The last feature taht will turn heads is hybrid Hard drives. They are drives that intergrate flash memory as a buffer before the data is written onto the actual hard disk. This will increase battery life and in some cases quiet the system down.

All in all you are going to see things come out. Thats the challenge, however I do suggest you do wait until the release of Windows Vista, and if you are set on the Apple you can go for a Macbook, but be mindful that Leopard will be coming out followign Vista. Of course you can always upgrade, I don't know specific details on Apple upgrades. Bottom line wait for Vista and then go for it.

Collapse -
thanks for the help

anyone know anything about the intel santa rosa / robson technology, I heard it's coming out in the first quarter of 07 and it seems worth waiting for, but if that means it won't be in a computer under 3000$ for atleast a year than, well thats too long, anyway thanks for the posts.

Collapse -
Link and thought...

In reply to: thanks for the help

Wikipedia link on Santa Rosa. I would likely note that there is always new stuff coming out or at least announcements of new stuff said to be a few months away and sometimes companies make their deadlines and sometimes not.

Regards,
JB
Collapse -
AMD

I think it is really worth waiting for the new AMD processor that are suppsoed to be released in june-july of 2007. Specially because AMD it's moving to 65nm, so it's porcessor will be on par with intel's (if not faster) at a very reasonable price (speacially the mobile ones). I'm really waiting for their new turion mobiles (AMD has beaten intel for 3 years, just let them some time and they will be back again on first)i think they might have the same performance as a core 2 duo or faster, and cheaper...I'm also looking fordward for 802.11n...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.