Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

whats a good free audio converter?

by ym p1 / January 23, 2008 6:23 AM PST

well i dont need very much from this, it just has to be able to convert mp3 to mp3. But;
it has to be free or with a limitless trial for a time,
be fast,
be able to put all the newly converted files back to their source folders & delete the old files,
retain all tag info.

recommendations?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: whats a good free audio converter?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: whats a good free audio converter?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
proselyting the kernel
by welrdelr / January 24, 2008 3:02 AM PST
Collapse -
i dont know why i have to enter a subject just read the post
by ym p1 / January 27, 2008 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: proselyting the kernel

ok, just to ask, if you convert a 128kbps mp3 file to a 192kbps mp3 file, would the output file have the same quality as one that was ripped from cd straight to 192kbps?

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 9:36 PM PST

You can't put quality back in. Widely discussed so I'll stop...

Collapse -
To musicholix. Post deleted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 16, 2009 7:44 PM PDT

Sorry, but all those links tells me your post was advertising.

Add to that the date of the initial post, (2008), and your post was not necessary. I deleted it.

Mark

Collapse -
Digital Conversion - Audio
by davindia / September 8, 2009 10:34 PM PDT

Audio Digital Conversion/Restoration
Vinyl Records and Cassettes to CD conversion ? This transfer of Analog sound to digital sound has become much easier, through several dedicated and also freeware Audio Recording software programs and plug-ins. The USB has lifted many limitations that there are USB Turntables, USB Cassette players to facilitate the Transfer/Conversion.
All these efforts/endeavours are geared to digitize the analog sound; so, naturally the digital codec and all pertaining factors are created ?to connect to the Computer ? the CPU? so that the Processing ? Digital manipulation like Amplification, Bass Boost, Fade in, Fade Out, etc. are made feasible.
However, the Front end tools ? the Turntable, Cassette player ? are still made and used as they are. Turntables still have the regular 33, 45 & 78 rpm speed; Cassette players play at normal speed.
With the improved processing speed, using faster Processor, higher FSB and larger RAM, it should not be much difficult to complex digital processing of sound!
The burden can be shifted/transferred to Digital Processing, to save the use and time of the Front end tools. In spite of faster processing, it still takes all 60 minutes or more to play and record a C-60 cassette, as in those days.
Why not increase the speed of these players ? dedicated machines to be used for Transfer or as an added feature to the normal Cassette player, so that the ?Play? time can be reduced.
CCP [Compact Cassette Printer] machines by SONY, OTARI record a C-60 minute cassette in less than 2 minutes, by running both ?Master? and ?Copy? at same but High Speed? Same technology used in Hi-Speed Dubbing of Portable Dual cassette players.
However, CCP machines copy/record both sides ? Side A & B simultaneously, whereas the Dual Cassette players copy/record only one side at a time.
The Speed of CCPs is not necessary, but 8x will be the Best! This will not tax/strain the motor or the machine too much. However a firmly built machine like REVOX, Grundig, TASCAM Spool Recorders will help.
C-60 Cassette ? as example:
Speed Time
Normal 1 7/8 ips 60 mts
2x 3.75 ips 30 mts
4x 7.5 ips 15 mts
8x 15 ips 7.5 mts

Player can be made to play sound 8 times faster and the emanating Sound can be recorded digitally at that faster speed, making provision for Side A and Side B as in CCP ? Hi Speed Cassette Copier machines. Hi-Speed Dubbing on Portable Dual cassette players copy only one side at a time.
This should not be very difficult as such programs are already in use as in mp3 Compression and de-Compresssion to WAV, and as in Nero CD Writing (Transfer of data at 13x, etc) and in iTunes (conversion at 13.3x)
Such a gadget will be a boon for all kinds of Restoration of Sound from analog sources.

Collapse -
Free Software
by davindia / September 8, 2009 10:34 PM PDT

Look for Audacity. It is good and FREE too

Collapse -
Nod to Audacity.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2009 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Free Software

It's nothing like opacity!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?