The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

"Whatever you're used to, you think is better!"

by Alegoo92 / June 6, 2007 11:25 PM PDT

Interesting (though pretty obvious) explanation for product loyalty and all that-- but what about people who use more than one product.? I'm pretty sure that at least some of people's brand opinions are based on objective reasoning and not always familiarity.

Alex

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Whatever you're used to, you think is better!"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Whatever you're used to, you think is better!"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I agree and disagree
by gogomama / June 7, 2007 7:48 AM PDT

I use mspaint all the time. I mean I am a frackin' mspaint wizard. I have the Gimp installed on my system, but 85% of the time I use mspaint anyway. I know that the Gimp is superior, but I've used paint for so long and have gotten so fast at using it that I can usually do whatever I need to do with it faster than with the Gimp just because I'm much more familiar with mspaint. Even knowing the Gimp is better and it would probably only take me an hour or two to get pretty good with it I still choose the lazy way most of the time and fire up paint.

Collapse -
True and False
by thriftyT / June 7, 2007 12:50 PM PDT

"Whatever you're used to, you think is better!"

To be sure, the above statement is often true. But it falls far short of being a maxim.

There simply are too many counterexamples.

Is the 2007 Camry better than the 2001 Camry that I'm used to?

Is 1080p better than the standard def that I'm used to?

No one out there is used to the iPhone, but there are a few million people out there that think it's better than whatever they are using and are going to pony up $500 within the next few months to get one.

Collapse -
Though..
by Alegoo92 / June 7, 2007 1:08 PM PDT
In reply to: True and False

Your point was accurate: I dont agree with your example at all.

SD to HD? There, it's not a matter of "being used to", because TV's have the same understandable functionality. It's just a matter of going to a better quality picture: which anyone would do if not for the price.

Cars-- maybe, but the best attractions of new cars is the same thing with more gadgets and features with a sleeker form.. I guess this is true (especially in the OS world)

Alex

Collapse -
Oh, OK.
by thriftyT / June 7, 2007 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Though..

So the Hi def example was a bit too simplistic.

But let's take the classic example where people often think that what they are used to is the best:
Food.

It's clear that most people have strong biases towards the foods they grew up with. On the other hand, most people occasionally have gustatory epiphanies ? and discover that what they aren't used to is great.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!