Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Whatever happened to academic freedom?

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 21, 2004 12:52 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Whatever happened to academic freedom?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Whatever happened to academic freedom?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Whatever happened to academic freedom?
by Dick White / April 22, 2004 4:22 AM PDT

I'd agree with you if it appeared to be simply a matter of different scientific opinion. Even within the narrow argument of differing opinions, this isn't just esoteric scientific debate like whether or not the big bang happened this way or that way; it seems this guy is advocating a behavior (regular unprotected exposure to UV) regarded by other scientists as risky when the scientific basis for his claim isn't all that strong.

However, it is the association with the tanning industry that bothers me. Yeah, he said they didn't tell him what to do or influence his thinking. If you believe that, then why are you so bothered by the oil and gas industry and other corporate support for Bush and Cheney?

dw

Collapse -
Interesting question ...
by Mosonnow / April 22, 2004 8:33 PM PDT

First, I read the article but not the links, and also acknowledge that you are slightly more knowledgeable than I (a masterly understatement if ever there was one).

If he is suggesting that a few sunblock-free minutes a couple of times per week outside is all it takes to get Vitamin D requirement, then I find it odd that he would be asked to resign, since the alternative would seem to be to wear sun-block on every occasion when one leaves the house - not overly likely IMO.

Secondly, the anti-sun (and anti-tanning) view must now be virtually world-wide, so it seems unlikely to me that his one book will instantly reverse that thinking (people aren't that gullible). Therefore he should put his views into the marketplace so that others can argue his theories. He might have a profit motive from book sales, eg as Eric von Daniken, but I assume that he actually believes what he is saying.

Thirdly, (an aside) I would be interested to read more research into other causes of melanoma, which can be a serious, indeed fatal, condition. From my limited experience here, it can be contracted by those spending very little time in the sun. If his ideas open up this aspect, then all to the good IMO.

Whilst you describe it as lack of "academic freedom", to me it is as an unrealistic "gagging" and I can only wonder whether he has upset his superiors by writing a book, effectively at his employers' expense, rather than publishing a medical paper.

Prima facie, it seems weird to me, unless his superiors are members of the flat-earth society.

Regards
Mo

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!