Camcorders forum

General discussion

What would be the best camcorder for me?

by watsom97 / March 10, 2008 5:10 AM PDT

I have been doing a lot of searching for a camcorder that would suit my needs and was just wondering what all of you thought. I would like to keep the price under $1000. I have a newer windows xp computer and would like to be able to record and edit my video as well as transfer it to dvd without loosing quality. I have looked at a lot of the cameras such as the hg10, hv20, hv30 hdr-sr10, HDR-CX7, VDR-D300, etc. All of them seem like excellent cameras but they all seem to be lacking in the optical zoom category. I have noticed you cant really find a higher dollar camera with 20X+ optical zoom unless you are willing to spend several thousand dollars. Finding a 30X+ optical zoom camera for under $400 is extremely easy though. I would like to be able to zoom to at least 20X but unless this is optical then im afraid that i will lose my quality.

If the camera is high def. will i be able to possibly get to the 20X with a little digital zoom help with a 10X optical camera without poor picture quality?

I was initially thinking about a hard drive camcorder because of the ease of just record everything to hard drive but reading reviews about how transferring to dvd will hurt the quality made me change my mind. I am thinking that miniDV would be a much better option, so i started really leaning toward the hv20 or hv30 but reviews on the hv20 have lead me to believe that the audio quality is very poor? How bad is it?

I am not fixed on any one camera or brand. The ones above are just some of the higher rated cameras that i have looked into. What would you all recommend?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What would be the best camcorder for me?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What would be the best camcorder for me?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"transfer it to dvd without loosing quality."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2008 6:13 AM PDT

Sorry, that is not usually possible since the Video DVD standard compresses the content and I could show the loss of quality. If you accept that the loss is standard or you will make a nonstandard Video DVD than look at reviews on the camcorders you listed.

As to zoom, from HD to SD that's a little over 4x zoom (480 lines to 1080.) So a 10x should start to look blocky.

The HD camcorder is a good choice since the initial compression loss will match about what we may see on a good DVD. If you used miniDV then that's as good as it gets today.

In the audio area, pick external microphone inputs if you can or use another audio source during post production.

Bob

Collapse -
camcorder
by watsom97 / March 13, 2008 5:55 AM PDT

Thanks for the help!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?