Computer Help forum

General discussion

What wattage PSU needed?

by wlpncp / November 23, 2010 3:03 AM PST

I purchased a new computer with a 300 watt PSU. The computer has a AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6 GHz processor, 6 GB of DDR3 1066 memory and a 1 TB SATA hard drive. It has a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system.

My question is "Is the 300 watt PSU sufficient, or should I upgrade to a more powerful one?" If an upgrade is needed, what wattage and what brand is recommended?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What wattage PSU needed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What wattage PSU needed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not enough info.....what video card ? How many CVD-DVD
by VAPCMD / November 23, 2010 3:06 AM PST

drives ?

Collapse -
Another question
by PKsteven / November 23, 2010 3:20 AM PST

Will a purchased PSU fit in the said new computer? For the most part, you can squeegie them in, however not all store bought OEMs will allow a larger PSU as some are made specifically to fit that tower. If you've ever seen a PSU from certain OEMs that look like half-PSUs, there is a reason. Chances are you can but you can usually see the dimensions of a PSU when purchasing and then make sure you will have sufficient space not to mention where the wiring protrudes from.

That aside, I tend to not go less than 500w these days and think that is plenty sufficient for your computer as is.

Also, what is the make of PC? If you plan to upgrade with a graphics card, other hard drives, etc... in the future, the graphics card may require 500 or better, depends.

Collapse -
Reply to VAPCMD and Comicfan
by wlpncp / November 23, 2010 3:30 AM PST
In reply to: Another question

The computer is an Acer Aspire M3300-U1332 PT.SBT02.002. In addition to the hard drive, it has a DVDRW optical drive and two 5.25-inch bays and three 3.5-inch bays (don't know what I need to put in these bays - ideas?). Guess I have to measure the current PSU to get dimensions so that I'll know if the suggested 500w PSU will fit, right? Would be nice if there was a compatibility chart available somewhere to help with this. Any recommended PSU brands?

Collapse -
Unless you install additional components
by VAPCMD / November 23, 2010 4:18 AM PST

like a high-end video card which usually has a high power draw, your 300 watt PSU is more than adequate.

Re replacing the existing unit...obviously you need to work within the dimensional limits. As for brands...there's several that I like .... but Corsair is the brand I buy most often. You can check out all the offering over at ...

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Should be fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 3:35 AM PST

That looks to be a ready to use machine that has enough PSU for the supplied components. HOWEVER if one was to add some 200 Watt Graphics card, then you need that many more Watts.

Collapse -
Reply to VAPCMD and Bob
by wlpncp / November 23, 2010 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: Should be fine.

Thank you both. So unless I add something like a graphics card, I should be O.K. with the existing 300w PSU, correct? The computer has an integrated ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics card, which should be fine for me since I don;t do gaming.

Collapse -
I think so. For comparison.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 5:23 AM PST

I have this older HP d4999t with some similar parts. Even with me adding a Zotac fanless GT240 1GB Video Card, I measured 100 Watts total when it's idle and 120 Watts when playing a game. It has a 300 Watt PSU so I'm well inside the 300 Watt capability.

Collapse -
You're system is OK as is and for what it's worth.
by VAPCMD / November 23, 2010 5:49 AM PST

your video card is 'integrated' ... meaning it's a chip on the motherboard vice a separate, removable peripheral/card. Integrated video doesn't have it's own RAM so it uses system memory in it's place.

Collapse -
by PKsteven / November 23, 2010 5:51 AM PST

After seeing you model, you are good to go. I myself run a quad core phenom, 2-12 mm fans, dvd drive, 12mm-heatsink\fan, hd2600 ati g-card, two drives, 1 tb sata, 1 backup pata and have used my 450w PSU just fine, however, I am going to upgrade to a Corsair 750W soon due to "Holiday Gifts" of hopefully a nice Graphics card...

And as stated, if you are upgrading, then yes, you will likely need a larger PSU.

Many "good" cards require at least 500 or better, but that really depends on the card you need or if you ever get for that matter, the card will typically show the specs needed to run it.

So if ever the case you do decide to upgrade, I myself, for the price difference, would go with a bit more watts with a PSU so I don't have to worry about upgrading in the near future. When it comes to power supplies, I feel it's better to have a little more than "not or just" enough and 500W is what I typically suggest, once again, depends highly on the system.

Currently, you are just fine.

Collapse -
Thanks to all of you
by wlpncp / November 24, 2010 12:56 PM PST
In reply to: Yep...

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. Best wishes for your Thanksgiving holiday.

Collapse -
You are welcome and..
by PKsteven / November 24, 2010 2:16 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks to all of you

Best wishes to you as well. And everyone at Cnet. Wink

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?