Question

What Waterproof Cam

Hey, I am looking for a waterproof camera. I am into outdoors stuff such as surfing and beach and would rather get a waterproof camera than 2 separate ones. I know the image quality is less than nonwaterproof camers. The store by me has 4 models, and I need help picking what is the best among these.

Fujifilm XP20 $195
Olympus TG--310 (comes with case and floatable strap) $190
Casio EX-G1 $230
Sony DSC-TX10 $325

Its been many many years sicne I have bought a digital camera so I am not educated on all of the specs. MY old camera is a canon 4MP if that says anything. I heard the Casio EX-G1 is somewhat dated and might be one of the poorest out there. I am completely clueless on the others.

I am not really worreid about MP, as from what I have heard you cant really tell the difference between 12 to 14MP anyway. A moderate zoom would be nice, but doesnt have to be a super zoom. Faster action would be nice for surfing, or even taking pictures of my dog going about the yard. Hd vid would be pretty nice also.

Thanks

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> code. on 06/17/2011 at 3:54 PM PT

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: What Waterproof Cam
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What Waterproof Cam
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Waterproof

First of all - The underwater capabilities of these cameras are limited.

The underwater rating is from about 10 to 16 feet deep.
So, read the specifications.
If you go deeper, you will end up with a camera with water inside.
If you are in salt water and water gets into the camera - the salt would eventually "eat" the camera's insides.

For those who have not heard of a Fujifilm XP20; it is the same as the XP30 except the XP30 has GPS (global positioning system).

None of the big name reviewers have done a full review of any of the cameras you list.

The Casio EX-G1 is an older model and does not have image stabilization.
I would delete it from the list.

Waterproof cameras in the past have not produced sharp pictures.
So I would want to see sample photos from each camera.

The cameras on your list have some specifications that usually indicates problems for low cost cameras.
1. Too many megapixels (14 MP and over).
That usually results in a photo with poor detail, because of the need for noise reduction firmware in the camera.

2. Too wide an angle. (below 32 mm focal length).
That usually results in a photo with soft left and right edges when using no optical zoom.

You can do a Google search for sample photos.
Something like:...... Fujifilm XP20 or XP30 sample photos
Look at the photo at its largest size and pay attention to photo detail and softness on the left and/or right edges.

Good Luck

- Collapse -
gopro

I think I am going to buy a budget point and shoot, maybe the canon 3100, heard good things about that. And then buy the gopro hero hd surf cam. takes 1080p video and has intervals for taking pictures.

- Collapse -
CANON POWERSHOT D10
- Collapse -
Answer
two cents worth

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but I bought the Fujifilm WP camera, which was less expensive than what you quote, and a little older model, I've had it since the end of 2009. But I have to say that I've really loved it. Previously I'd used 35mm cameras with a plastic waterproof body over them, this was to replace those, and it's been fantastic. It was purchased for snorkling in Tahiti and Bora Bora, and it got great shots and video, even the sound works nicely underwater. I've carried it along to Alaska, and didn't have to worry about it getting wet, while on a glacier, and most recently, in the Amazon Rainforest in Peru, it fit perfectly into my pocket, and I didn't have to worry about water and mud. It was inexpensive enough that I'm not really all that concerned about it, but it's been great to carry along. I'm really impressed with Fujifilm cameras.

CNET Forums