Speakeasy forum

General discussion

What was your favorite car you hated to part with?

by Willy / September 9, 2007 4:49 AM PDT

I liked many an older car in days past, but drive a pickup all the time now. However, I really come to miss a VW Rabbit(diesel) that I sold to buy some tractor parts. In hindsight I gave up a true gas saver and little workhorse, the only problem it ever gave me was worn water heater gasket and main glow plug fuse. How about you? -----Willy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What was your favorite car you hated to part with?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What was your favorite car you hated to part with?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My 1958 Chevy! What a sweet ride........
by Patricia89 / September 9, 2007 4:50 AM PDT

Paid 350 dollars for that car

Collapse -
Beetle, probably 1960 or so.
by drpruner / September 9, 2007 5:54 AM PDT

History shows I could still be driving it, and maintaining most of it myself. Downside, I couldn't drive it in either CA (where I owned it) or NM (where I live now) because I'm too old and feeble to do w/o A/C. Happy
(The poor heater wouldn't bother me.)

Collapse -
Our first Beetle was a used '58
by Angeline Booher / September 9, 2007 7:08 AM PDT

No gas gauge, just that lever to flip over.

Next bought a 1963. By the late 80's it had the original everything except the speedometer had been replaced 3 times. And he windshield wipers got out of synch. (Amazing how clear those wipers kept the windshield.)

However, the floor was rusting out, which got my husband's trpuser legs wet when t rained as he continued to drive it. he finally sold it to a guy who wanted it to drive around his farm.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
How'd you get a VW that old?
by James Denison / September 10, 2007 8:21 AM PDT

As I recall the VW Beetle came into the US in the early 60's. I remember we had a 1964 with the flat windshield then.

Collapse -
Beetles were in the US in 1949
by Steven Haninger / September 10, 2007 8:43 AM PDT

Total sales------2. Numbers grew in the '50s. There weren't dealerships at first. The cars were shipped to the east coast and driven to the point of sale. These were the "split rear window" type. The flat windshield was around....I think.....until 1973 when everything got more rounded as well.

Collapse -
I believe the super beatle
by grimgraphix / September 11, 2007 10:49 PM PDT

was the fist VW with a curved wind screen.

Collapse -
Yes....sort of
by Steven Haninger / September 12, 2007 6:18 AM PDT

but the first super beetles in '71 and '72 were still flat. You could tell a '71 from a '72 by looking at the rear deck lid. The '71 had 2 louvers and the '72 had 4.The '73 came with a larger dash and curved windshield. I believe the fenders were more rounded and the headlamps covered as well. No standard beetle had a curved windshield, however. The super bug design increased the trunk space by re-positioning the spare tire. Of course the trunk was in the front. You could now carry two baseball gloves instead of just one. Happy It also had a McPherson strut front suspension. The rear was still the torsion bar type.

The spare tire location reminds me of a popular after market option that came during the gasoline crisis days. A round plastic fuel can that fit perfectly inside the old style VWs spare tire was available. The spare tire was right in front as you opened the hood. In fact, the fuel filler for the tank was there too. This plastic tank would hold about 1 1/2 gallons of gasoline which could get you another 50 miles or so. But, here you are driving down the highway with a plastic bubble full of gasoline right up front. Better hope those brakes are in good shape and don't forget to shut off those headlamps just before an impact. Wink

Collapse -
That's a lot to remember when wrecking your car...
by grimgraphix / September 12, 2007 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes....sort of

... wouldn't it be easier to just not wreck?

Wink

I had a girl friend with a 67 bug. She asked me to go fill it up. I had to ask some one at the gas station where the filler cap was. I was surprised to find it under the front bonnet.

Dad had one of the mid 1960's vans with the rag top convertible sun/moon roof and the port hole windows running around the roof line. I remember camping in that van, with the top drawn back at night, so we could watch the stars.

Collapse -
'67 was one of the best years for bugs
by Steven Haninger / September 12, 2007 8:18 AM PDT

They got an increase in displacement from 1300 to 1500 cc. The '66s were the only 1300s as the previous ones were 1200. In '68, the VWs started getting some serious emissions control crap put on them and performance....such as it was....suffered. The '67s became some of the best dune buggies too.

Collapse -
(NT) Plunger switch on the bumper would have worked.
by drpruner / September 12, 2007 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes....sort of
Collapse -
(NT) My super beatle was John. :-)
by drpruner / September 12, 2007 10:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
How we got it
by Angeline Booher / September 10, 2007 8:51 AM PDT

We bought it in 1960 or ' 61 from a VW dealership. It had no gas gauge. One just flipped a lever to access the reserve tank. Our 1963 did have a gas gauge..

Those were in the days when VW owners honked at each other on the road. Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
History
by James Denison / September 10, 2007 1:31 PM PDT
In reply to: How we got it
Collapse -
good link!
by jonah jones / September 11, 2007 4:32 PM PDT
In reply to: History

read through and saw Ghia.... a friend bought a 4th hand Karman Ghia in the UK in the late 60s' drove it around Europe (including the length and breadth of the then USSR) for a year, down to Athens and then over here by ferry
3 days before he was due to retun (with the car) to Canada, he got reamed by a semi-trailer.....total loss

red convertible, beautiful car!

Collapse -
Ditto.
by Angeline Booher / September 11, 2007 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: good link!

Those Ghias were the most expensive in the model line. Great looking cars!

Pity that the one your friend enjoyed for so many miles met an undeserved, undignified end.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
No doubt y'all remember the commercial.
by drpruner / September 10, 2007 1:42 PM PDT

Tired old Beetle ... goes slowly over a hill ... out of sight ... comes back up ... as a dune buggy!!

Collapse -
and the one in woody allen's ---'sleeper'
by WOODS-HICK / September 11, 2007 4:56 PM PDT

* "It's a 200-year-old Volkswagen! (car starts instantly) Wow, they really built these things, didn't they?"

* In the film's German dub, the above Volkswagen scene provided for a special in-joke particularly for German audiences as after the car starts, it is Miles's(woody allen's character) chance to satisfiedly utter Volkswagen's original German slogan for the bug that they used for decades and that remains one of the most popular commercial slogans in Germany of all: "Tja...'L

Collapse -
More commercials
by Angeline Booher / September 11, 2007 11:16 PM PDT

"You'll be a little hazy abut when you last filled up."

My favorite was a little VW "bug" running around , and a giant foot trying to stomp it, unsuccessfully. The audio was : "he hehehehe!"

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
5 cents a mile
by James Denison / September 12, 2007 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: More commercials

That was a slogan for a period of time when gasoline was under 40 cents per gallon.

Collapse -
A Pasadena friend once had a job at JPL.
by drpruner / September 12, 2007 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: 5 cents a mile

(Jet Propulsion Labs of space exploration fame.) He says an engineer bought a Beetle in the sixties and was bragging about the mpg. They began filling the tank just a little each day while it was parked, and enjoyed his raptures over it. Then they began removing a little each day ...

My friend swore the story was true, and it sounds just like the Pocket Protector mentality of the time.

Got another one about the Cal Tech students and the police, for another time.

Collapse -
(NT) Never saw the giggling Bug. That is funny. :-)
by drpruner / September 12, 2007 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: More commercials
Collapse -
VW Squareback.
by Angeline Booher / September 9, 2007 7:01 AM PDT

I forget if the year was '66. '67 or '68.

It had plenty of cargo room, comfortable seating and driving position and view. There wasn't anything about it I didn't like.

It was stolen from my driveway, and the thieves rammed it between a wall and a tree to bend the frame. Then they painted "Ouch!' on it with red nail polish.

A very undignified end to a machine that serve me well for 10 years.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
VW like DP and Angeline
by Steven Haninger / September 9, 2007 7:22 AM PDT

We had a '66 bug my parents bought as a college commuter car. I bought a '72 later and took it to Texas when in the USAF. It was pokey but nimble in traffic. I could fix just about everything on it including clutch jobs, brakes, engine removal and major overhauls. My only accident in it was with a Texas tumbleweed while traveling about 85 mph. Neither sustained serious injuries. I kept the car until the late '80s. It was still running fine but getting a bit harder to get parts for except from J.C. Whitney. Their parts were crap. I see these occasionally for sale at much more than I paid for mine. I don't pine for another one though. Happy

Collapse -
My 1991 Honda CRX
by Josh K / September 9, 2007 7:37 AM PDT

That was one fun car. I traded it in for an Accord 1998 because my wife couldn't drive a stick and didn't want to learn; plus the fact that it was only a two-seater was starting to become a problem.

Collapse -
67 442 Olds Cutlass Supreme...
by C1ay / September 9, 2007 10:23 PM PDT

with a Convertible top and a WonderBar Radio

Collapse -
(NT) 63 TR3B- 76 VW ragtop- 67 GTO
by WOODS-HICK / September 10, 2007 12:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
Any of my pickups, but
by TONI H / September 10, 2007 7:21 AM PDT

my two favorites were a 1989 Silverado 454 Dually CrewCab and a 1996 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab. I think I miss the Dakota more...since I traded the Dually for it lol

TONI

Collapse -
Work trucks
by Willy / September 12, 2007 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Any of my pickups, but

I could never trust the big block Chevy though it did wonders in the 1st years. Those that had dualies usually complained about something even though it got the job done. I tend to stick to 4-wheels just for the sake of ease as having a dualy seems overkill for my needs. But, it sure comes in handy. I sold by '69 dump truck a few yrs ago with a rebuild 350ci(old block,) that still kicks but the frame and such saw better days, better to sell it or find myself in a ditch(if lucky). I didn't drive much but having tons of crushed stone did make for a ride. -----Willy

Collapse -
Batmobile
by EdH / September 10, 2007 2:46 PM PDT

No, 66 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible that I had in the 80s. Black with red and white interior. It had all kinds of rust and other problems. I would have loved to restore it, but didn't have the bucks.

A beautiful car, but not very practical.

If I ever win the lottery I'm looking for another one.

Collapse -
While you are at it then,
by duckman / September 10, 2007 8:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Batmobile

Make me a Monkee Mobile!!!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.