Speakeasy forum

General discussion

What was this device called?

It looks like a ferris wheel but you would put pictures into the 'seats' put the cover over the wheel, then externally crank a handle like a monkey organ grinder, and look inside the box....the pictures would create a 'moving' picture?

I remember my older sister having one when I was small and I'm trying to locate one if possible, but can't recall the name of the device to begin my search.

TONI H

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What was this device called?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What was this device called?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Kinora viewer ???

In reply to: What was this device called?

Collapse -
(NT) Nicklelodian?

In reply to: Kinora viewer ???

Collapse -
I think that was a juke box

In reply to: Nicklelodian?

There was a song by Theresa Brewer called "Music, Music Music" that said something like

"Put another nickle in, in the nickelodeon
all I want is lovin' you and music, music, music."

Pretty erotic, eh? Happy

Collapse -
Oops! messed up a bit on the lyrics but

In reply to: Nicklelodian?

Collapse -
I felt like Lawrence Welk, lol.

In reply to: Oops! messed up a bit on the lyrics but

That was going back a few years. Probably was a song box. I thought there was a kinetoscope that was just pictures, but when I ran a search it came up with film instead.

Collapse -
(NT) moving picture box?

Collapse -
Were there some for ...

The Flintstones? But somehow I keep thinking it was long before them.

Now I'll be awake nights! Happy

Send me an email when yo get a chanc.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
You guys are great

SE came through for me again.....now I have lots of different names to search for. The one I recognized was Kinora....kept thinking it began with KIN but that was as far as I could get on my own.

Appreciate the help..........

TONI H

Collapse -
Well, Edison had a kinetoscope

and the Lumieres from France took that to a new level with their hand crank device that projected the pictures onto a wall - the cinematograph. Those both used strips of film rather than individual pictures though.

I doubt that it was a mutoscope because while they functioned like you describe they were BIG and usually coin operated. I think they were 8mm film rather than picture oriented too.

I think that what you are actually looking for is a bioscope or a moving picture extension of the old stereoscope (but again these were usually quite large).

might be a tachyscope too.

You might want to follow this link and see if they have an idea.
http://www.thisoldtoy.com/
"click any year to find the toys of your childhood"

Wasn't a Fisher Price "Movie Viewer" was it?

Collapse -
(NT) Zoetrope. Zoe is Greek for "life".

Collapse -
(NT) P.S. It's Francis Ford Coppola's studio's name.

In reply to: Zoetrope. Zoe is Greek for "life".

Collapse -
In fact, here's your "ferris wheel"

In reply to: P.S. It's Francis Ford Coppola's studio's name.

Collapse -
Marvels

It was called the "nickelodeon" and understand back then a nickel was big money. When so-called traveling movie theaters got part of a carnival or on their own, they were a hit. These were marvels of the time. -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.