General discussion

What used UMPC to buy best?

Hello,

I want to buy cheap used UMPC for studies. I want help on choosing what to buy best (for best productivity, to not fail after some years of use). I found on ebay four variants to buy:

1. Sony VAIO VGN U50 (used, with 0271 and 0251 errors)for $210;
2. Everun S60H used, for $280,no minor problems;
3. Benq S6, refurbished for $280;
4. OQO Model 2, used for $320, without battery.
5. Samsung Q1, used, for $320.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: What used UMPC to buy best?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What used UMPC to buy best?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Some years?

Some years for a netbook? Sorry to say, but you'll probably be lucky to get a single year out of a netbook.

But if you insist... I'd rule out #1 and #4 immediately. One has stated errors, the other has no battery. #2 I'd probably leave as well, since they apparently felt compelled to state something about no problems, they're clearly trying to distract you from something else. Who knows what, but let someone else find out. If #3 is straight from an authorized repair shop, that might give it a small edge, even though I've never heard of BenQ doing anything but monitors. #5... Samsung's computer division is brand new. They may have poached a lot of former Sony employees to get it up and running quickly, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Honestly, ebay is not the place to be computer shopping. You're just as likely to be scammed out of your money as you are to get a system that actually works as advertised. And if they're already used systems, you have to factor in the level of care the previous owner gave to them, which you can't do.

- Collapse -
Personally, I wouldn't go for any of these, but...

if I have to...then maybe #3. I get this funny feeling with #2, hehe. No minor problems (just BIG one)?

I recently bought a couple netbook from Mwave (everything must go auction) for around $150 each). These are inventory they want to get rid of, so deal like these may not come up again; but you can check once in awhile.

- Collapse -
Failure is almost assured.

Here's why. Almost all the netbook failures I encounter fail due to the owners having no way to reinstall the OS. Many didn't make the restore media, some didn't get such or think it was required.

One of the sad truths about pre-configured machines with no CD/DVD drive is that eventually you'll have a trashed OS and need to restore.

Your list appears to be primed for failure. How long depends on events we can't predict but it is assured that it will happen.
Bob

- Collapse -
If new

Thanks for useful replies.
I found on ebay another OQO MODEL 2 base specification pc for $270. It is new or like new or refurbished, tested and working. However it comes without battery, ac adapter and operating system.
How do you think is it worth to buy new model and for additional price other accessories?
Does it will be hard to install windows on this UMPC?
What are your advice?
Thanks

- Collapse -
"it comes without battery, ac adapter and operating system."

Imagine a car without battery, gas or a steering wheel. It should be less than 10% of the blue book value to worthless.

That's what I think of your ebay OQO. It's junk and if you want junk, go right ahead.

At 270 bucks you could do better at Walmart and pick up a netbook.
Bob

- Collapse -
OQO

I just bought the oqo model 2 recently and love it. I use at as pretty much my only computer. It boots up pretty fast and if i put it to sleep or hibernate it, it will boot up in a matter of seconds, and in these states I can easily put it in my backpack and take it out when i use my digitizer to take notes in onenote, one of my best purchases ever. If you choose it you would want a dock, maybe a digitizer, a mouse and keyboard; the latter 2 you would want regardless of the choice.

CNET Forums

Forum Info