MacBooks forum

General discussion

What upgrades will void a macbook warranty?

by chasemassey / December 14, 2008 11:56 AM PST

I want to upgrade my aluminum macbook's 5400 RPM hard drive to a 7200 RPM hard drive.

My question is: Will upgrading the hard drive void the warranty on the new macbook?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What upgrades will void a macbook warranty?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What upgrades will void a macbook warranty?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Possibly, but doubtful
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 14, 2008 8:53 PM PST

The HD on the MacBook can be changed out by loosening 3 screws.

I doubt this would be cause to void the warranty. Similarly, adding RAM is fine

Remember that a 7200 rpm drive will eat your power faster and that you will have no support from Apple until the machine is returned to its original specs.

Your warranty and support is based on the machines original specs and does not cover its performance with after-market add ons

P

Collapse -
No storage upgrades should void the warranty
by tleMega / December 15, 2008 9:43 AM PST

You said "aluminum MacBook", so I take it you have one of the new unibody ones. If not, you'll have a grand old time trying to get to the hard drive in one of the older MacBook Pros or PowerBooks. Wink Back to the aluminum Macs: from what I've seen, you can take part of the bottom off, and you'll find the hard drive and battery right under it, both in the MacBook and the Pro. You should be able to unscrew it and disconnect it very easily. RAM upgrades should not void the warranty as well, but it looks like the whole bottom shell must be removed before you can get to the slots. I don't recommend changing the memory sticks that it came with; many users have been complaining about severe instability and system problems when they changed their RAM to a 3rd-party set of DDR3 chips. Any set of generic RAM supposedly wrecks havoc with the notebooks when the modules are coming in with 4GB or more. The hardware recognizes up to 8, but you probably won't be able to use any of that if you installed that much. Of course anyone looking to use that much memory is better off with a Mac Pro or some other top-notch tower. Just thought I'd put that out there.

So no, any regular upgrade path you choose to pursue should not void the warranty. Good luck with the new MacBook.

-BMF

Collapse -
Older MacBooks
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 15, 2008 8:59 PM PST

Remove the battery, remove/loosen 3 screws, remove the metal strip the 3 screws were holding in place and, Bingo. There is the HD and the Memory.

Now the PowerBooks and iBooks were a whole different ball game

P

Collapse -
For the regular ones, I know
by tleMega / December 16, 2008 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: Older MacBooks

but for the Pros, you have to take the whole thing apart. On the other hand, the white (and black) MacBooks are very easy to upgrade like you say. I believe Apple allowed users to swap the HD on those. You have to take the top off of the Pros to get inside, which involves removing several screws all around. Tricky.

-BMF

Collapse -
Certified Service
by robertmro / December 19, 2008 9:27 AM PST

I spoke to Apple before I had it done.

The rule is, that the work must be done by a certified Apple service shop in order not to void the warranty.

Just do what I did. Call up Apple and ask them, don't trust what some tells you in a blog.

Collapse -
Blog?
by tleMega / December 19, 2008 11:54 AM PST
In reply to: Certified Service

I think a forum and a blog are two different things, wouldn't you agree? And some of us have had a few experiences dealing with this sort of thing, so why shouldn't you trust us? This is a Mac Hardware Forum after all. We're here to help and ask questions ourselves as well.

For regular MacBooks, you can (easily) upgrade the HD and/or the RAM. You won't void the machine's warranty; the warranty just won't cover the new components that you installed, if they are from third-party vendors. That's why I prefer to keep all of my original stock memory modules shelved away should I need them.

Calling Apple can help if needed, so I wouldn't say that's a bad thing.

-BMF

Collapse -
I don't think so, scooter
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 19, 2008 10:26 PM PST
In reply to: Certified Service

This is NOT a blog, it's Forum. There is a major difference.

That said, and following along with your statement about not trusting what some one tells you, why would anyone believe what you told them?

You may be interested to know that the Hard Drive in the MacBook or Macbook Pro are defined by Apple as being "User Replaceable Parts".
Why, they even post instructions on how to do it on their web site. You'll find them Here

If you would care to take a look at my earlier post, you will note that it is a condensed version of the Apple instructions.

Now, tell me again why you should not trust what anyone tells you in the CNET Mac forums.

P
(ACT)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?