Question

What type of connection would this be considered and Help?

I use a Broadband to Go by Virgin Mobil 3G USB Stick for your PC or MAC. I use to get awesome things done on my computer but for the last couple of weeks either with IE or Firefox will work for a few minutes then get a "can not connect to server". I spoke with Virgin Mobil and they said it has to do with my computer. I have done everything I can think of from reading help and support to where don't know where else to go except here because I have always gotten awesome advice that works. Looking forward to some great help gang

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: What type of connection would this be considered and Help?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What type of connection would this be considered and Help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
More clues are needed.

I don't have much to go on to start giving advice yet. But you may want to check your Norton or Kapersky expiry date as those do shutdown your internet to be on the safe side when they expire. Yes, I've read some unkind words when that happens, and heard too much foul language at the office which they figure that out.

There's also some SIMPLE things that can cause this. Such as the date and time being too far off on your PC.

But again, little detail so I can't offer much. Try the stick on another PC?
Bob

- Collapse -
Still needing Help

Mr Proffitt,
Thank you and I realize I did not offer much for you to go on. I have a Dell Dimension C521, Windows Vista Basic. I use a Virgin Mobil USB to access the internet. I was getting great internet from it until a few weeks back. I don't use Norton or Kapersky. Date and Time are current. It works on the lap top. As I said before they said it has to do with something on my computer. I have been looking at past discussion even one popped up for the Major Geeks site. Tried the IPconfig/renew Ipconfig/release Ipconfig/flush dns and each comes back with "THE REQUESTED INFORMATION REQUIRES ELEVATION". Since the nice lady who spoke broken English told me it had to do with my DNS on my end that everything was good on their end. Virgin Mobil is my ISP. Can you offer any more help please. Thank you

Mary H Lyons

- Collapse -
Re: requires elevation.

That means "You must use 'run as administrator' to run it. It seems you didn't.

If it only happens since a few weeks, can you use System Restore to go back to before that time?

Kees

- Collapse -
Sorry In Response Delay

I just got Internet Service again with same issue. I use a pay per month USB from Virgin Mobil. I have a Dell Demension C521 use OS Vista home 32. I use 2 Browser IE9 or Firefox 14.

System Restore did not have the date I needed. When using either or Browser I get the "The connection has timed out". Adapters are up to date. Did the DNS flush renew. It only seems to happen when I am reading and responding to PTC sites. I can play games on MSN. Go on Facebook but can not stay connected with Email or PTC sites.

New problem. Now laptop can not log on using the ICS.

Ready to pull hair out.

Any new suggestions?

- Collapse -
ICS? ICS is not for folk with hair.

That is, ICS that comes with Windows is so finicky that I no longer support it in any form. It sounds cruel but that's how it is. To solve connection sharing I use other solutions but never ICS.
Bob

- Collapse -
Still the big Issue Connection Timed Out

Thanks Bob for your advice on the ICS but any ideas about the When using either or Browser I get the "The connection has timed out".

- Collapse -
Sorry no.
- Collapse -
Response to Sorry No

Thanks I will give it a try.

CNET Forums