Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What type of anit-virus/malware software I need for my PC?

by inzonedj89 / July 1, 2009 7:27 AM PDT

I had to reboot my PC,with a clean hard drive and I just wanted to knows, what type of anti-virus/spyware software that I need to install to my PC?

I had only downloaded spy-bot(cnet.com) and avira(gave me a blue screen). Then spybot find a Trojan.something, but, I had only visit my yahoo email and had downloaded Mozilla Firefox 3.1 to 3.5 yesterday and add-on or a plug-in from Google. I didn't know if the trojen came from a Google add on or plug-in, spy bot, or avair( which didnt install full way- that give me the virus).

I had uninstalled spybot and avira.

I would like to download anti-malabytes, but can anyone check it, if it have hidden virus and also avast?

I only have window 2002 service pack 1. If anyone can tell me where to get service pack 2, it would be helpful. I am currently using a browser firefox 3.5 to download.

Please, excuse my horrible fluency English grammar.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What type of anit-virus/malware software I need for my PC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What type of anit-virus/malware software I need for my PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
2002 service pack 1.
Collapse -
Re: What type of A/V and A/S I need for my PC?
by Carol~ Moderator / July 1, 2009 9:12 AM PDT

inzoned..

The first thing I would suggest is to download and install CCleaner. You mentioned you installed (and uninstalled) Spybot Search & Destroy and partially installed AntiVir, if I'm understanding correctly. In addition to any unwanted files, CCleaner will also help remove the files as a result of the AntiVir partial install. Keep in mind, only one A/V is recommended.

You wrote:

I didn't know if the trojen came from a Google add on or plug-in, spy bot, or avair( which didnt install full way- that give me the virus). I had uninstalled spybot and avira

I don't know where you downloaded Spybot Search & Destroy or Avira's AntiVir Personal free from. The below are "virus free" and safe, if you wish to reinstall them.

Avira AntiVir Personal - FREE Antivirus
http://free-av.com/en/products/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html

Spybot Search & Destroy v1.6.2
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

You also wrote:
I would like to download anti-malabytes, but can anyone check it, if it have hidden virus and also avast?

You should not run into a problem obtaining Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

The same with your request for Avast:

Avast Home Edition - Free
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Home-Edition/3000-2239_4-10019223.html

Best of luck..
Carol

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!