TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What Tv is right for me

I want to get a new tv and I should have enough money in about 4 months. My budget will be around $1200 for tv and everything needed. I will probably mostly use it for Xbox 360 and standard definition television until more channels come available with HD. I have very little knowledge of HDTVs and accessories, and would like to know what tv would be good for me and what I need for it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What Tv is right for me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What Tv is right for me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DWAD WHY BUY IF YOUR NOT GOING TO USE IT

In reply to: What Tv is right for me

Hi-def is useless unless you feed it a hi-def cable or satellite system. s.d. is going to look the same as a standard t.v. SO WHY. hi-def satellite or cable service is going to give you true hi-def and for the small extra fee for the hi-def package its well worth Discovery h.d, theater, e.s.p.n , t.n.t., h.b.o. e.t.c. and If you go with the Dish Network you can add the VOOM package $5.00 extra and get 5 more awsome hi-def channels Also with the Dish system you can either hook up an outside antenna and receive all your local channels in hi-def I receive 18 local digital channels 8 are in hi-def with stunning picture quality. or get your network stations for $5.00 extra. Just using it for gaming is a waste of your money just my opinion steweeeeeeeeeee

Collapse -
I just need a new tv, and I might as well just go HD

In reply to: DWAD WHY BUY IF YOUR NOT GOING TO USE IT

That was really hard to read what you typed, but from what I understand is that you are asking me why I want hi def? A lot of the channels I watch right now aren't in HD, but will be in a few years. And I want a new video game console which basically needs an HDTV to get the most out of it. And I also need an upgrade from my 10 y/o t.v, which is small and not that great of a picture. It now seems as if the only t.v's 32"+ are only in HD. You didn't really help me at all with your response.

Collapse -
Suugestion

In reply to: I just need a new tv, and I might as well just go HD

For your budget, you won't find a TV that is 1080p (the latest hype). You can find a good 720p TV and that will be excellent and if your X-Box does send 1080p, a 720p TV will still be able to display the image and it will look great. Since 720p TVs are being replaced with 1080p sets, you should be able to have a decent group of TVs to choose from at a good price. I see in today's newspaper that a retailer in Los Angeles is selling an 32" LG HDTV (32LC2D) for $1098. I'd bet you could find Sharp, Samsung and maybe even a Sony for close to that. Stay away from off-brands as well as Magnavox, RCA, GE and the like. Those are two, three and eight letter words for junk.

Collapse -
Trade offs

In reply to: What Tv is right for me

Consider the types of sets.

DLPs are good for games, but you have high bulb replacement costs and poor viewing angle. Not good in bright rooms
CRTs and Plasma have great pictures but you may have a burn-in problem if you play a lot of games. Bright, but may get reflections.
LCD flat panels do not burn in, but may not refresh fast enough to keep your games from blurring. Except for the very best, do not have a picture equaling plasma.
Size. For that price, you can get a 34" CRT, 37" LCD or 42" plasma amd any mumber of sizes in DLP.

You need to spend that 4 months doing a lot of research and comparisons. Prices will probably drop a little by then too.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.