The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What tools do you use to create the your podcast?

by scott_wilder / February 1, 2006 10:05 PM PST

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to start a thread to see what tools everyone is using to create their podcasts.

I do a podcast for my church where every episode is that week's sermon.

I'm a Mac guy. My tools are:

G4 Powerbook
Audacity to record the sermon and export down to mp3
Cast Easy to create the podcast
.Mac to host the podcast

It's called Faith Church Weekly Word

http://homepage.mac.com/scott_h_wilder/sermons/fcww.xml

or search for Faith Church in iTunes

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What tools do you use to create the your podcast?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What tools do you use to create the your podcast?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Already covered
by AndyInTN / February 1, 2006 11:29 PM PST

There was a posting about podcasting earlier, but, I will go ahead and tell you what I use in this one as well.

PC w/:
AMD Athlon XP 1700
1 gig RAM
Audacity, export into MP3 at 96 kbps
Use ID3-TagIT 3 for ID3 tags
FeedSpring for creating XML feed.

If I'm away from that system, I sometimes use my laptop which only has 32 megs of RAM and a 200 MHz Intel. It works great for recording. It is nice and quiet too, compared to when I record at the faster computer since it is noisy.

I do however transfer the final exported file over to my other computer for ID3 tagging and FTPing to the net.

You don't need a lot for a podcast, just an idea and a passion.

Collapse -
Don't know if I ever answered
by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / February 2, 2006 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: Already covered

I do my own podcast at home separate from Buzz Out Loud and I use the following

ThinkPad laptop with 1 Gig of RAM
Audacity
Record the file onto my iPod (as an external drive - just to save space on my laptop hard drive )
ourmedia.org to host the file
feedbruner for the feed
Just ordered a mixer and mic so we can have better audio.

It's a Bheringer mixer
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Mixers?sku=631238
And a cheapo Shure mic

Collapse -
mixer
by comppsyco / February 4, 2006 5:31 AM PST

tell me if you like to mixer. I'm thinking of ordering one of those myself

Collapse -
Crosstalk
by scott_wilder / February 4, 2006 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: mixer

I have yet to use any behringer mixer where crosstalk (sound from one channel leaking on to another) wasn't a major issue.

Scott

Collapse -
So far I love it
by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / February 4, 2006 11:01 AM PST
In reply to: mixer

I've tested it a few times and haven't had any crosstalk issues (yet) but I will keep an eye out for it (see other post in this thread). Not that it matters *too* much when I'm just doing two voices.

I plan to road test it for real Sunday night and will report back. What I love about it so far is that it's compact enough to take on the go, has XLR and 1/4-inch inputs, eq, gain, volume and tape out. And all that half the size of my laptop.

Collapse -
Works great for the money
by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / February 5, 2006 1:07 PM PST
In reply to: So far I love it

Just finished the test run with the new equipment. For my home level of production it's a fine. The Shure Mic puts my old Realistic much to shame. The mixer worked fine.

Collapse -
Wow
by AndyInTN / February 4, 2006 11:33 AM PST

I didn't know you could get a mixer for that cheap. I thought mixers were something only rich people could have.

Collapse -
shure mic
by comppsyco / February 4, 2006 1:57 PM PST

Also, could you tell me how the crummy shure mic is? I assume that it's a C606W or an 8900W. I was going to get an $80 audio-technica mic, (the Pro 63) but if that one works fine, I might go for that and save 40 bucks.

Collapse -
Crummy Shure Mic not that crummy
by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / February 5, 2006 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: shure mic
Collapse -
I've used those
by comppsyco / February 5, 2006 9:03 AM PST

I've used those before. Not fantastic, but they do sound quite good for the price.

Collapse -
IBM Laptop and M-Audio MobilePre
by gregthomson / February 4, 2006 9:36 AM PST

I bought the M-Audio MobilePre (USB) pre-amp which came with Ableton Live v4 - works great and the sound quality for what I do (interviews/spoken word) is great.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.