Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

What to use to keep a monitor screen clean on a notebook PC.

by Big Steve / January 16, 2007 1:55 AM PST

I have a Dell Inspiron 1300 notebook computer which will be a year old in April 2007. I use canned air to keep the keyboard area clean from time to time; I use an electronic spray cleaner to keep the case and areas surrounding the keyboard clean but what I'd like to know is the best product to use to keep the monitor screen clean on this Dell notebook. Feedback appreciated.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
01/16/07

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What to use to keep a monitor screen clean on a notebook PC.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What to use to keep a monitor screen clean on a notebook PC.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: What to use to keep monitor screen clean on notebook PC.
by Big Steve / January 16, 2007 3:41 AM PST

Nobody can offer any advise on this one?

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
01/16/07

Collapse -
Keep it closed
by PudgyOne / January 16, 2007 3:42 AM PST

and the screen will not get dirty

Collapse -
Re: Keep it closed
by Big Steve / January 16, 2007 4:08 AM PST
In reply to: Keep it closed

Oh and while I'm at it I'll be sure to wrap my CRT monitor in a Hefty garbage bag too. What kind of an answer is that? "Keep it closed". I'm surprised you didn't also suggest that I use Windex and a Hi-Dry paper towel.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
01/16/07

Collapse -
Follow Wayne's advice
by PudgyOne / January 16, 2007 4:57 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Keep it closed
Collapse -
Follow Wayne's Advice and the link?
by taboma / January 16, 2007 11:26 AM PST
In reply to: Follow Wayne's advice

set up by the pudgyOne. Follow the total link.
Suggestions work!

LOL!

-Kevin

Collapse -
Re: Follow Wayne's Advice and the link...
by Big Steve / January 16, 2007 11:36 AM PST

All 87 posts huh!

End Of Reply
01/16/07

Collapse -
Big Steve, The 87 posts?
by taboma / January 17, 2007 7:18 AM PST

are fun to read. Won't take you long at all.
You may find some good info there as well.

I do not have a notebook or powerbook.
I have a Mac and use it for Graphic design.
I also prefer a large monitor. 19" CRT at work and a ViewSonic 20.5" LCD at home.

I have been told to clean an LCD screen with water only and a soft cloth. My other CRT monitors at work and at home I use Windex and Bounty paper towels.
One question to you. Why does your notebook get so dirty?
Do you own a cat or dog that likes to lick the images on your screen?

Have you ever used Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner on the screen?
A great cleaner on just about any surface

I wonder if anyone ever used Scrubbing Bubbles on a cat or dog?
Pretty safe to use.

Thanks,

-Kevin

Collapse -
Re: Big Steve, The 87 posts...
by Big Steve / January 17, 2007 3:00 PM PST

Kevin:

My notebook doesn't get that dirty but as with all of my other electronic products I like to keep them clean. To answer your other question; no; I do not have a cat nor do I have a dog.

By posting my question in the Newbees forum I expected to get quick, immediate and sensible responses to my question but instead others decided to make a field day out my question and attempted to turn this thread into a 3 ring circus. For what it's worth thank you for your post.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
01/17/07

Collapse -
Big Steve, The 87 posts?
by taboma / January 18, 2007 2:22 PM PST

Big Steve, Not a three ring circus at all and sorry for you to feel that way. No harm intended.
These Forums have a lot of useful information in them that you will find useful. Other links are intended to just share fun with each other.
They are harmless and not to be taken seriously.

Steve, Did you check out the other 87 Links? You will see what I am talking about.

As far as the correct, serious answer to your question, you already have received it before from these two Forum members:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=228824&messageID=2378801#2378801

Whatever you do AVOID Windex...
by Edward ODaniel - 1/16/07 1:10 PM
In reply to: What to use to keep a monitor screen clean on a notebook PC. by Big Steve

and other cleaners that can damage the screen.

Personally I just clean with a water dampened (damp, NOT wet) microfiber cloth.

Since your preferences may vary, here is a link that should provide you options and guidance:
http://www.real-knowledge.com/lcdclean.htm

I also noted plain water that was recommended by Ed.

Steve, Try to have fun on these forums and lighten up a little.
These forums are World-Wide and we can find all your information by going to Google and searching for Big Foot: :

Collapse -
fair question
by laurnj / February 5, 2007 4:09 AM PST

I thought it was a fair question, that's why I am here, just to see the options/suggestions..and I'm amazed by how people feel the need to be rude, especially to someone they don't know, guess it's just me, but, it's silly. Anyway, Steve, let me know what you tried and what worked the best for you, if you don't mind, thanks!
Nothing wrong with preventative maintenance and being clean.lol!!

Collapse -
Answer. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 16, 2007 4:27 AM PST

Not trying to be "smart", but doesn't the laptop manufacturer list what to use?

I found this at the Dell site for your laptop:

1. Clean the LCD.

CAUTION
CAUTION:

* Isopropyl Alcohol is a flammable liquid.
* Never spray or pour any liquid directly on the LCD panel.
* Do not clean the screen while the system is on.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Disconnect power to the system or monitor.
3. Wipe the LCD screen gently with a soft dry cloth.
If any marks remain, moisten the cloth with LCD cleaner, and then gently stroke the cloth across the display in one direction, moving from the top of the display to the bottom.

NOTICE: Do not use any of the following chemicals or any solutions that contain them: Acetone, ethyl alcohol, toluene, ethyl acid, ammonia, or methyl chloride. If you have a different chemical or solution and are not sure whether it is suitable, do not use it. Using any of the chemicals in the previous list may cause permanent damage to the LCD screen. Some commercial window cleaners contain ammonia and are therefore unacceptable.

Be sure the LCD screen is dry before closing it or using the computer.

NOTE:

There are many cleaning solutions sold specifically as LCD cleaners. You can use these to clean LCD screens on Dell notebooks. Alternately, you may use a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water mixture. Microfiber cloths such as those used to clean eyeglasses are excellent for use with LCDs.

Collapse -
Re: Answer...
by Big Steve / January 16, 2007 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: Answer. . .

Now I must say thanks for such a detailed post. I have an electronics spray cleaner which is sold at and marketed by Office Depot; it's one of their private label products which I use everywhere on the Dell notebook except for the notebook's screen because it clearly states on the can not to do so.

A few years ago Endust made an excellent electronics spray cleaner product which they sold in a blue aerosol spray can; it was real good stuff but they quit making it for some reason. Pledge puts out a similar product but in my opinion it's not as good as the Endust electronics spray cleaner was.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
01/16/07

Collapse -
They still make it Steve....
by Maggie6243 / January 21, 2007 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Answer...

I recently purchased some.It's called "Endust for Electronics". You can buy it at WalMart.....Maggie

Collapse -
Re: They still make it Steve....
by Big Steve / January 21, 2007 3:55 AM PST

Well it hasn't been available in my area for quite sometime. Last year I contacted the company that makes Endust and they told me that their electronics cleaner had been discontinued. Well if you're able to buy it that's good because it's one good product.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
01/21/07

Collapse -
Answer
by taboma / January 17, 2007 12:47 PM PST
In reply to: Answer. . .

coryphaeus, Actually I never thought about the power supply being shut off on a notebook before cleaning since I do not own one. Makes sense to prevent your body from lighting up the same as an LCD. ZZZZAAAAPPPP!!!!!

Good advice.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Whatever you do AVOID Windex...
by Edward ODaniel / January 16, 2007 5:10 AM PST

and other cleaners that can damage the screen.

Personally I just clean with a water dampened (damp, NOT wet) microfiber cloth.

Since your preferences may vary, here is a link that should provide you options and guidance:
http://www.real-knowledge.com/lcdclean.htm

Collapse -
(NT) Google 'How do I clean a notebook screen?'
by caktus / January 16, 2007 3:44 PM PST
Collapse -
I've used a product called KleanScreen for years on my
by TimZ / January 18, 2007 7:31 AM PST

laptop screen. Works great. It might be spelled differently. Clean Screen or Kleen Screen. Either way, try to find it. Great stuff.

Tim

Collapse -
Re: I've used a product called KleanScreen for years on my..
by Big Steve / January 18, 2007 5:01 PM PST

I haven't been able to locate "KleanScreen" or "CleanScreen" but I'll continue trying. Thanks for your post.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
01/19/07

Collapse -
All the suggestions...
by PKsteven / January 21, 2007 4:03 PM PST

And no one mentioned the obvious...when you sneeze , hit the screen, then wipe off with sleeve, fail safe!

Of course kidding *cough*, I agree with ED, I have used a slightly damp cloth, 100% cotton though, don't want scratches. I take the same care as eye glasses or binocular lenses never had a problem. Just my 2 cents.

Paul

Collapse -
All the suggestions?
by taboma / January 25, 2007 2:31 PM PST
In reply to: All the suggestions...

Paul, the sleeve works if cotton. First you have to wipe off the snorts with Kleenex. Spray the screen with a small mist of water and than use your sleeve. Works all the time.
Ahhhh?chooooo!!
Just turn your head and sneeze at the cat. Poor cat will friek out and
never lick that screen again! :

Collapse -
You betcha!
by PKsteven / January 26, 2007 7:26 PM PST
In reply to: All the suggestions?

And for a bonus, stick your kleenex in between the screen and keyboard when you close your laptop, excellent storage! Now where's my cheese sandwich.......?

Paul

Collapse -
Cheese Sandwich?
by taboma / January 27, 2007 12:05 PM PST
In reply to: You betcha!

Paul, You want it grilled!
Your screen already has pressed ham on it! :

Collapse -
Ham on rye
by PKsteven / January 27, 2007 5:52 PM PST
In reply to: Cheese Sandwich?

LOL, thanks for that Kevin, lol. Oh believe me,if I could get away with it, i'd be 90% joking and 10% horsing around. Laughter is DE BEST MEDICINE. Or so i'm told. I laughed when my gallbladder was taken out and all it did was pop open my stitches large enough to put my gallbladder back in, so I guess that's an invalid statement. I may tend to get a tad confused at times but not too....

Where...am....I....

Collapse -
Ham on Rye?
by taboma / January 28, 2007 1:00 PM PST
In reply to: Ham on rye

comicfan, Did you ever get to the 87 posts that pudgyone suggested at the top of these posts? You should enjoy them.

Kleenex tissue? Makes sense to me. One of my friends is an IT guy and protects the screen with a very thin piece of foam sheet that probably was part of the original packaging. Works!

I hear that you need a new office and need more privicy.
Well, here is your new office. Enjoy it!
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/8346/newofficeforcomicfanom0.jpg

Plenty of Kleenex also on a roll!!

-Kevin

Collapse -
ROFL
by PKsteven / January 30, 2007 3:22 PM PST
In reply to: Ham on Rye?

If only, if only! Then i'd be in there as much as my wife, loll. Wink

Paul

I like the new update to the forums , very nice.

Collapse -
Women are like that?
by taboma / January 31, 2007 11:59 AM PST
In reply to: ROFL

?hogging the bathroom and your new office.

Paul, Kleenex tissue was a good idea by the way.
All in a days work!

-Kevin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?