PC Hardware forum

General discussion

What To Upgrade Next

by Literati. / April 13, 2008 5:45 AM PDT

Hi all,

I'm currently running Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy (Soon to be 8.04 Hardy when the stable is released)

I'm getting into the habit of enjoying tinkering with the insides of my computer Silly
I just finished upgrading from 512MB RAM to 2GB RAM (2x1GB) and notice a pretty big difference (Expecially in the amount of swap being used)

Here is the output from lspci:

matt@Matt:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P PCI to AGP Controller (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AR [Radeon 9600]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AR [Radeon 9600] (Secondary)
02:05.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c940 10/100/1000Base-T [Marvell] (rev 12)
02:0b.0 Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k HSFi Modem (rev 01)
02:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 05)
02:0d.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev 05)

It's a pretty old, custom built, PC. What would you guys suggest upgrading next? I'm open to all suggestions.
My computer is open already, so if you need me to check something for you, let me know, and I'll check it out and post back!

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What To Upgrade Next
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What To Upgrade Next
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you notice. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 13, 2008 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: What To Upgrade Next

the processor speed is not listed.

Too much information, really. What helps the most would be something like, just for an example:

AMD 2600 2.2 GHz processor
2 Gig RAM
40 Gig HD
DVD RW drive
on board audio and video

Try again please with your PC's specs.

Collapse -
Here you go :)
by Literati. / April 13, 2008 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you notice. . .

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
2.0 GB RAM
Boot Drive: 80GB
/home Drive: 400GB
DVD-RW Drive
CD-RW Drive (Don't use ever)
Video Card: Radeon 9600 (Don't game)
Sound Card: Creative Labs SB Live!

Is that better?
Is there a command I can use to get all that info for me in future?

Collapse -
Better. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 13, 2008 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Here you go :)

Your machine looks pretty substantial. Good speed, more than adequate RAM, two nice hard drives, it actually looks a lot like one of mine (4). I really can't see what you can improve upon.

Are the sound and video devices actually plug in cards, or do you plug your monitor and sound into jacks/ports on the motherboard? I'm asking so I don't have to look them up.

As far as upgrading, what are you looking for in performance?

Collapse -
Hmm.
by Literati. / April 13, 2008 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Better. . .

I'm not so sure about the Sound/Video cards, or how I would identify them. But I'm content with sound and video. I mean, I don't game on this computer at all.

It just seems like since my computer was built a long while ago, at least 5 years, that I could improve upon it a lot. But if that's not the case, then that's fine by me Happy

ThankS!

Collapse -
Here's my drives
by Literati. / April 13, 2008 9:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm.
Collapse -
I think you're good to go. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 13, 2008 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm.

The only "upgrade" would be to a dual core processor. But that would involve a new motherboard, RAM, and a new OS because XP might fail with that many changes. And that will involve reinstalling everything again along with all device drivers and software. A real PITA. Don't ask me how I know.

Collapse -
Okay then.
by Literati. / April 13, 2008 9:35 AM PDT

When I have enough money, I might try and build my own computer just for the heck of it. But until then, I guess I'm good to go Happy

Thank you very much! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.