PC Hardware forum

General discussion

What to do with old Hard Disk !!!

by Scott274 / April 2, 2009 9:30 AM PDT

So last month I had brought a new Seagate hard disk, prepared it and transferred all the data from my old Samsung hard disk (about 4 years old) to it. The reason for buying a new disk was, while working on my PC (old hard disk) sometimes I would hear a faint ticking noise and the the system used to freeze and then restart after a long time. Once restarted no hard disk used to be detected and I also used to get disk boot failure error on the second screen after restart. But after power off and on, the system used to start working again. This problem troubled me for almost more than a year. Most people I talked to advised me that the hard disk was going bad and so finally I brought a new disk.

Right now after transferring the all the data to the new drive I ran a hard disk diagnostic tool called "HUTIL" from the Samsung website on my old Samsung SP0802N disk. After completing the complete diagnostic test I got about 8 errors and the tool advised to run "ERASE HDD". I then ran the "Low Level Format" option in the tool. It gave me some error in the end but I think the process got completed. Here is a screenshot of current disk management in windows.
[code]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/abs724/Screencaps/DiskM4-3-2009-40119AM.jpg[/code]

Then I ran the diagnostic test again in "HUTIL" as these were the results..
---
Test Loop Number 1/1
Read DMA : Testing...
Error: Sector error
Check M.C : Testing... Pass!
Check S.M.A.R.T : Testing...
Error: S.M.A.R.T Threshold Exceeded.
Spin Down/Up : Testing... Pass!
Simple Read/Write : Testing... Pass!
Simple Surface Scan : Testing... Pass!
Write Verify : Testing... Pass!
Average Seek Time : Testing... Pass!
Maximum Seek Time : Testing... Pass!
Random Surface Scan : Testing... Pass!
Read Surface Scan : Testing...
C:1039 H:0 S:962 Error: Ecc error
C:1040 H:0 S:797 Error: Ecc error
C:1580 H:0 S:1037 Error: Ecc error
C:7354 H:0 S: 965 Error: Ecc error
Error : This drive has some defects.
---

Thats two less read surface scan errors than last time I think.

The disk is no longer under warranty so no point contacting any service centers. Now although my old disk is not very healthy, it is still usable and I was thinking of using it as a single partition storage drive. Is there anything more I could do to the disk to remove those errors and make it more healthy. Or should I just prepare/NTFS-format the drive and start using it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What to do with old Hard Disk !!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What to do with old Hard Disk !!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"S.M.A.R.T Threshold Exceeded."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2009 9:56 AM PDT

This is a drive with issues. I can't count how many try to keep using such and call it proof that they can keep using it. It's like a bald tire. It works but is out of spec and you never know when...

Collapse -
Re.
by Scott274 / April 2, 2009 10:55 AM PDT

So can nothing be done about these errors..

Read DMA : Testing...
Error: Sector error

Check S.M.A.R.T : Testing...
Error: S.M.A.R.T Threshold Exceeded.

Read Surface Scan : Testing...
C:1039 H:0 S:962 Error: Ecc error
C:1040 H:0 S:797 Error: Ecc error
C:1580 H:0 S:1037 Error: Ecc error
C:7354 H:0 S: 965 Error: Ecc error

In the "Hutil" HDD diagnostic tool apart from "Low Level Format" option there was an "Erase MBR" option too which I haven't run till now since I don't know what it means. Do you thin running it might help. Or anything else..

Collapse -
Sure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2009 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Re.

But just like rebuilding a bald tire it takes specialized gear, a new platter or head assembly. At today's costs a drive is cheaper to replace than fix.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?