HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

What to do when the toolbar changes its blue hue to white?

by shyamalmitra / August 4, 2012 4:08 AM PDT

I am still using WINDOWS XP Pro SP3 on one of my office desktops. During the process of trouble shooting and change of a hardware (a malfunctioning SATA DVD Writer being replaced by a new one) the toolbar and the vertical and horizontal sliding bars have changed their colour of blue into pale creamish white. This irritates my eyes. Running System Restore did not help. Can any learned member from this forum be kind and helpful enough to suggest a remedy other than running Windows setup again after backup? Thanks in advance! Also is their any third party software avalable on the net that can restore my toolbar to its original shade?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What to do when the toolbar changes its blue hue to white?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What to do when the toolbar changes its blue hue to white?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: bar
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 4:19 AM PDT

Toolbars and sliding bars are program dependent. There's no such thing as a Windows toolbar, but there is, for example, a MS Word toolbar and an Outlook Express toolbar (and even a Windows Explorer one).
So can you be more precise?

Kees

Collapse -
by shyamalmitra / August 4, 2012 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: bar

To be very precise, and polite too, I am referring to the blue coloured horizontal bar which lies at the bottom end of my screen stretching from left to right of my monitor's bottom every time Windows XP Pro SP3 commences after boot. This bar is adjacent to the START radio button which on clicking displays the vertical taskbar and start menu. This tool bar also displays the minimised active windows in icons on the left hand side like the IE8 and houses icons on its right hand end starting with time, sound , LAN connection (Two small phones) and other start up programs that can be executed either by clicking them from this tool bar or from the short cut icons on the desktop. Now this tool bar has remained active (along with a sliding bar on top for horizontal navigation and another sliding bar on its right hand border for vertical navigation) since the good old Windows 95 days and has continued even in the Windows 2007 Pro today. This is the bar I am talking about! It used to be blue in shade and also the sliders that to my misery have turned into glaring cream white that irritates my eyes. Can you please tell me how to bring that soothing blue shade back? Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: toolbar
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 7:44 AM PDT

That bar is commonly called the 'taskbar', not the 'toolbar'. That's why I had to ask.

Since Bob already picked up your explanation by telling about the right click properties of the desktop to change its appearance, all that's left to me is to express my hope that you didn't find my question inpolite.

Kees

Collapse -
by shyamalmitra / August 4, 2012 7:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: toolbar

Dear Kees,

I am grateful to you for your kindness in responding to my SOS message in no time and correcting me and improving my computer jargon of calling the Windows item as taskbar and not toolbar. Also I wish to apologize for my terse reply to your message of help which was the outcome of my own frustration and ignorance of computer jargon. I am sure that you shall forgive me and be there to help me out on this forum if ever a need arises.

Regards.

CA. Shyamal Mitra

New Delhi. India.

Collapse -
Answer
Do you remember how to set those colors?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 7:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
PS. As Kees noted, it's the taskbar.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 7:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Do you remember how to set those colors?
by shyamalmitra / August 4, 2012 8:36 PM PDT

Dear Bob,

I express my sincere gratitude to your detailed and kind response to my call in distress. However none of the remedies suggested were able to put the taskbar back to its original appearance. The Kelly's site did allow me a free download of a tool to restore the taskbar to Win XP original appearance but failed to do son on installation and execution. Any way I shall have to continue with the irritation till someone as learned and as helpful as you may find a solution of which I have good hope indeed. The C-Net forums are realms of experts and my problem will certainly find its solution from here!

Thanks and regards.

CA. Shyamal Mitra
New Delhi. India.

Collapse -
Is this XP THEMED in any way?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2012 4:31 AM PDT

When I come across a THEMED XP I nod a lot and uninstall all themes.
Bob

Collapse -
Is this XP THEMED in any way?
by shyamalmitra / August 5, 2012 1:15 PM PDT

My dear friend Bob

In India we say that when an old bullock stops pulling the plough, release it instead of coaxing or beting it. (It has worked its life out so go and buy a new one and let it graze in peace!). After wasting precious time on tweaks and calling for help to locals at India and sending messages and answers from you guys at C-Net and doing this and that in tension and frustration, a thought whispered in my mind saying "You old man! That Windows XP Pro was working for you from 2005 onwards as was Windows 98 2E from 1999 and that good old Windows 95 from 1996 with you. You did not upgrade from Windows XP SP3 to Vista because Vista was altogether another kettle of fish that you found tough to handle! Now in mid 2012 your old OS has gone berserk and you are raising SOS calls? Why do you not go to New Delhi's Microsoft resellers M/s Flipcart.com and buy a Windows 2007 Professional OEM 32 Bit pack?" And so I have done today and after backing up my documents and gathering my desktop motherboard's (Intel DG965RY with 8GB DDR2 Memeory and Pentium Dual Core 3.00 GHz processor) hardware drivers along with the Drivers CD and the Cd for the ATI Radeon 2GB DDR PCI Express Graphics Plug in Card, I have an hour ago installed my Windows 2007 Professional 32Bit at a cost of Rupees Ten thousand Seven Hundered and Ninety only, (Pirated Win 2007 sells for as low as Rupees One Hundred only but I have never since DOS 6.22+Win 3.1 days used pirated software) on my 6 year old self assembled desktop and boy was that fast! It took half the time than that of the Windows XP and barring the Intel Mainboard Drivers did not even bother to ask me for even my ATI Radeon Graphic Card!

All said and done it was agood riddance. All that I have to do is get familiar with the ropes and this OS unlike the Vista has certain similarity to the XP! Well at 55 years of age when you dont want to accept changes, I have done it. It took me two months to master the XP from the Win 98. It may take a month more. I am not afraid.

I thank you and Kees once again for your kindness.

Regards.

CA, Shyamal Mitra
New Delhi, India.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.