General discussion

What to do when Nortons cannot delete a file?

I ran a scan and I had 1 file detected as an adware threat. I deleted it but it said it failed. I restarted my computer and ran a 2nd scan. Now 2 files we detected, I then tried to delete and it failed again. I know a lot of trojans multiply after restarts so I assume that is what happened.

Here is my question. I then ran a scan in Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy and deleted everything that came up (had 6 files in Ad-Aware and none in Spybot. I ran Ad-Aware first.) I then ran Nortons again and the same 2 files came up and they could not be deleted.

I then restarted again and ran Nortons Scan and the same 2 came back (it didn't multiply this time.) BTW I cleared my cookies and Cache since the time I rebooted. I clicked on the Threat Name in Nortons and it took me to their site. I followed their instructions for removal. I went into the registry (I have some experience with deleting things in there, I got rid of DSO Exploit this way by myself, lol I took pride in it for a newbie.) And when I follow the tabs/paths in the registry to get to the keys they say to delete, I get to the end and those files arent in the folders they say they are.

Did I get rid of them in Ad-Aware? Are the Adware files still on my computer somewehre? I wish I could give you the names and stuff, but I am at work and don't have them with me. I will paste them on here when I get home.

Any help or advice? Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: What to do when Nortons cannot delete a file?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What to do when Nortons cannot delete a file?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Hi phattferd

The name and the path would sure help but you could try the scan again in Safe Mode. Many things can get deleted that way. Your operating system, would help too. Directions for safe mode are here.

- Collapse -
oops, forgot the link
- Collapse -
Thanks

I have Windows XP SP2.

I will try that when I get home in a couple hours.

- Collapse -
OK, Good luck and if it doesn't work

find out the name and exact location if you can. I'm leaving for the day but I'll be back in the morning or someone else can jump in.

- Collapse -
Here are the Threat Names...

Adware.CDT

And these are the file names:

7B2BC44Dd01
7B2BC44Dd01

- Collapse -
I haven't left yet. LOL

Here are the directions from Norton for removal of it which also includes using BOTH safe mode and going into the registry. Just do everything in the same order as Symantec says in the link. They give full directions including how to backup the registry.
http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.cdt.html

- Collapse -
I followed that earlier today and that was my main question.

When I followed that when I got to the "domain" in the tabs within the registry the files they say to delete or keys to delte werent in there.

Anyway something is strange. I ran a scan before I left for work and 2 files popped up as being harmful...then I went to work didn't have time for anything. Got home booted my computer into safe mode like you said ran Nortons and no threats...so I booted it back into normal boot and ran Nortons and no threats.

I didn't do anything since I last ran it to this time and the files went away? Is this the case or is it smart and hiding?

- Collapse -
Try doing an online
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Put a checkmark in "autoclean" on the first one.
- Collapse -
Ya I ran housecall last night, 1 more thing...

thanks for the help I appreciate it. Housecall came back clean...I just was wonderig what you meant by going back in system restore. Should I go back to a restore date and scan the computer? or go into the registry then and delete the files?

I am naive in things, dont feel bad to tell me anything. I would just assume that if I got rid of it now (when I got it, I scan almost every day when I go to sleep and look at it when I wake up) then I would just assume its ok on past dates. Would a virus go back in time and mess with things?

Thanks again Roddy you have been great.

- Collapse -
Windows XP creates a restore point

for every 24 hours that the computer is on so, very possibly there is a copy of the virus in System Restore so you should disable it, which clears it out and then reenable it and create a new one. This way, if you ever had to go back to a restore point for whatever reason, you won't bring the virus back. I'm not going to say you're welcome until we know it's fixed LOL. Here are the directions for doing what I just told you about and don't even feel naive, we are all here to help each other.
http://www.pchell.com/virus/systemrestore.shtml

- Collapse -
OK I turned off System Restore what next

I turned it off. According to that page you sent me it says to now delete the virus. Well according to Nortons there is no virus now. Do I just go on now and assume the virus is gone? Do I turn system restore back on?

Is there something else I need to do? Thanks.

- Collapse -
Yes, just turn it back on now and

Go ahead and do your scans again after you turn it back on. Hopefully you are clean now.

- Collapse -
Thanks Roddy!!!

Nothing has popped up in Norton's since last night after doing every test you haev suggested. I am going to say its safe to say everything is gone (knock on wood), thanks for the help.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome, glad we could help.

CNET Forums

Forum Info