Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

What to do about startup virus?

by grandpaw7 / June 30, 2004 2:49 AM PDT

When I tried to boot up this morning I got a message from the AVG bootup scanner that it has detected a virus C:\may17_~1.exe Trojan Horse download.apropo.d . AVG recommended that I restart using an operating system from a virus-free system diskette, or CD Rom and then use the AVG rescue disc and remove the virus by healing.

I have the Windows 98SE Startup disk that came with the computer. I closed down by cutting off power, inserted the floppy and hit the boot up button. When I got the startup menu, I chose 1, the CD-ROM option because that is what the Windows 98SE Startup Manual said to do. I end up with an A prompt that I don?t know what to do with.

The Windows 98SE Getting Started manual says about using the4 startup disk that after a series of scans I will get the MS-DOS prompt which will give me access to the system files on he startup disk.

The Help page I get says that at the MS-DOS prompt type the name of the utility I wish to run and press Enter.

There are some other instructions, something about if you use the startup disk a boot menu appears giving option to do something about drivers.

I don?t have an AVG rescue disk.

What should I do now?

grandpaw7

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What to do about startup virus?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What to do about startup virus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: What to do about startup virus?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 30, 2004 3:38 AM PDT

Grandpa,

Are you sure the infected file is at the path named:
C:\may17_~1.exe
? NOrmally that trojan in in the C\Windows\System32 folder.

You should be able to restart the computer into "Safe Mode", navigate to the file and delete it manually, but if you want to delete the file in DOS mode, then instructions below should help:

After the computer boots to the A:\> prompt, type so it looks like this:

A:\>C: then press the "Enter" key. You should now see:

C:\>

Now, (Assuming the location and name of the file you have given are correct and are indeed infected. Make sure that it is so.) type so it looks like this:

C:\>del may17_~1.exe then press the Enter key.

The file should be deleted, shut down the computer, pull out the floppy disk and restart.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grandpaw, Are These The AVG Instructions ???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 30, 2004 3:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
Update
by grandpaw7 / June 30, 2004 8:44 AM PDT

Girf, I guess the bottom line is that after I got to where I could boot up I ran AVG and it turned up seven viruses which it apparently fixed. I then ran HouseCall and it turned up five more which it fixed, plus cleaning a malware worm. I also had AdAware get rid of eighty or so items, and SpyBot got rid of several more.

I used your instructions to manually remove the virus I mention in my post, which enabled me to boot up to find the other viruses.

I'm wondering now what caused all those viruses. My granddaugher used my computer last evening and this morning all those viruses show up so I suspect she is attracting them, but I guess I can't be sure.

I did open up some attachments in emails from a friend, but Hotmail claims they were safe. It that reliable?

I'm wanting to get rid of AOL's guest sign in so my granddaugher will have to use her parentally controlled screen name, but I'm not sure how just yet.

Thanks for the usual excellent help. grandpaw

Collapse -
Grandpaw, I Don't Trust Hotmail....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 30, 2004 8:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

...or any e-mail client for that matter. Although Hotmail is supposed to scan all their mail, I always scan all attachments by downloading them to a separate folder on my desktop (I call the folder "Virus Stuff") and I prescan them in the folder before attempting to open them.

It's also very possible that your grand daughter was surfing some unsafe sites as there are a number of new exploits in Internet Explorer which can download and install malware to your computer. If you're going to continue to use Internet Explorer, I would recommend changing the Security settings in Internet Options to "Disable" or "Prompt" for all Scripting and ActiveX options.

Hope this helps and keep up the safe computing.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks, Grif
by grandpaw7 / July 1, 2004 8:10 AM PDT

I've disabled all the ActiveX stuff. I've got some elementary questions about defending against viruses but I've decided to pose them in a separate thread with a more specific title because I think they may touch on matters that other greenhorn users have, or perhaps should have. grandpaw

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!