Cameras forum

General discussion

What to Buy? What to Buy?

by BeyondHelp / November 22, 2005 10:49 AM PST

I wish to move into the Digital age. Something up from my old reliable Minolta Maxxum 5000i SLR. I would like something that leans toward Pro Level at least 8MP. So I have been thinking either Nikon D70 or Cannon EOS 20D. I have been going back and forth and back and forth thinking I would pick whats really the better of the two.

The problem is that some of the little Point and Shoots are creeping up with admirable qualty however no SLR. Like the Luminex with Carl Zeiss zoom lens, Man I was so surprised at the distance and the quality of the image the camera could produce. I think it was even capable of the RAW format maybe not. It was impressive for just $500 or so dollars. Again I know its just a little P&S.

Them there is the new EOS 5D that Cannon just made out of the 20D. 12.8MP. Man!!

What I really wanted was the EOS-1 Mark II Ds But I ain't got the $8Grand and thats just the Body. But I will someday. The point is what to buy now with about a $1000 - $1500 general budget when these little guys are getting so powerful and I am way off on budget for the 12.8 or 16.7 MP cameras that draw more toward the PRO level. After all Half the Job is the Right tools.

Any of you members have any professional input for this Remedial learner.

Regards,
BeyondHelp

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What to Buy? What to Buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What to Buy? What to Buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well.....
by Papa Echo / November 22, 2005 4:18 PM PST

..what do you do with your camera ? Leaning towards PRO- does that mean studio work ? Assignments ? Doing lots of closeups or telephotos ? Sports and Action reportage ? Magazines ? ---all for the $$$$ ?

Collapse -
It's hard to say !!!!
by jump1127 / November 22, 2005 5:49 PM PST

My personal belief is that every angle of shooting has its own beauty. 60 % of pictures come from these following :

1. Correct light metering, in combination with the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture values.

2. Timing when and where you shoot pictures.

3. Composition.

4. Quality of Equipment, lenses and digital camera.

The other 40 % will lie in how good you have your pictrues processed using the software, such as Photoshop.

P&S or DSLR has something to do with more controls in the different environment. DSLR has more advantages than P&S digital camera over more selective lenses, larger sensor ( lower noise when shooting at the dimmer light condition ), and more features, such as greater shutter speed and more aperture values ( for depth of field as alternatives ). But, also some disadvantages, for instance, the dust problem that tends to fall into the DSLR camera's sensor while changing SLR lenses.

I've been using both P&S and DSLR camera for quite sometimes. Many great pictures were shot by my old Canon IXUS 500 as well as my EOS 20D. If you've got any chance, visit www.photo.net so that you can see how good both DSLR and P&S can shoot picture without that great.

To say which one is the right choice for you. I'd say that you don't overspend for what you really need now. It's you who decide ! Full size ( 24 x 36 mm ) DSLR camera , predictably in the next few years, will be available in the market at the affordable range ( perhaps less than $1,500 ). Canon EOS 1DS mark II and EOS 5D are still very expensive. However, these camera shows some off-sets to the camera. For instance, picture distortion due to SLR lenses. I've seen how some poor wide-angle lenses have a lot of distortion impact on the picture quality.

In my opinion, Canon's DSLR future looks more promising. Much to do with the camera's sensor and processing unit inside. Nikon tends to outsource the technology, mostly from Sony. Only Nikon D2H uses its expensively in-house developed technology, with unbearable noise level when shooting at the dim light. While Canon EOS Rebel XT achieve 8MP, Nikon D50 and D70 still sticks around 6 MP. Not until Sony reaches 10MP, Nikon D200 later reaches 10MP. Not comparing to Canon, where Canon 5D has overcome 12MP. So, Canon has beated Nikon in terms of technology. In addition,with a proper mounting devices, Canon DSLR has a great variety of lenses beside its brand, such as Nikon's, Leica, and Contax's lenses. Thanks to the well-designed distance between the end of lense mounting and sensor.

Canon seems to split their DSLR markets into 2 segments, one that need for speed shooting ( such as sports or journalists ) and professionals. Speed shooting will go for something like 1D mark II or 20D. On the splitting half, some serious professionals go for the full fram size like 1DS mark II or 5D.

Let's hear some others who may disagree with my opinion. Choose well. Good luck.

Collapse -
DSLR
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 12:12 AM PST

The Nikon D50 and D70 are 6 megapixel.
The Nikon D200 is 10 megapixel ($1700 without lens).
The Canon 20D is 8 megapixel ($1500 with kit lens).

Since you have been using a film SLR, I don't think you will be happy with a non-DSLR camera.

Olympus has announced they are cutting back on compact digital cameras and plan to make DSLR 30% of their sales within the next 5 years:

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2005-11-09T224550Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-222718-1.xml&archived=False

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.