TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What to Buy?

by asilyllek / October 15, 2007 12:41 AM PDT

I am looking for some kind of home audio system that has a CD player and good sound. I need something that I can hook the sound from my TV into as well as audio from another source. Two audio inputs total. But I only want something along the lines of the Bose wave system. This looks like it would work but it looks like it only has one audio input. Anything out there similar to the Bose but with two audio inputs and a CD player? Please help. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What to Buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What to Buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A NYTHING IS BETTER THAN BOSE HA HA
by stewart norrie / October 15, 2007 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: What to Buy?

For what you pay for that Bose junk you can set up a sweet 5.1. system that you will love forever. A hi-quality a/v/ amp with all the bells and whistles $250, then speakers blow your life savings I have a DENON 3805 amp and blew $2500 on Atlantic Technology speakers worth every penny I paid for them steweee

Collapse -
Couple of questions
by Dan Filice / October 15, 2007 9:24 AM PDT

First, you mention that you would like to connect your TV into the audio system. Is your TV connected to a cable or satellite box? If so, you should connect the cable or satellite box (audio outputs) into the new audio system. This way, you can enjoy nice sound, but if you ever simply want to listen to the TV speakers, just don't use the audio system. Second, my 2-cents on Bose is that they are generally not made for connecting other components into, thus the limited audio inputs. Third, you only mention a "CD Player." A DVD player will play audio CDs AND they will play movie DVDs. Do you have a desire to watch movies on DVD? If so, getting a DVD player will be perfect. Fourth, you mention "home audio system." By this, do you mean two speakers playing stereo only? When most people mention "home audio system" they refer to a surround system (4 corner speakers, a center voice speaker and a sub-woofer for bass). There are some very decent HTIB units (home theater in a box), which typically give you a combo receiver/DVD player (that will play audio CDs) and all the speakers for surround. The speakers in these units are generally small. You could certainly do better if you bought separate components, but if you have limited desire to do the research, the HTIB often suffices and they will satisfy your needs. There have been some very nice HTIB package units mentioned here, but I forgot which they are. Maybe Denon or Yamaha.

Collapse -
Reply to Couple of Questions
by asilyllek / October 15, 2007 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Couple of questions

OK, Here's the scoop...All I really need is an audio system with 1 aux input. I've revised my thoughts and do not need any kind of home theatre system for my TV. What I want is a CD player/speakers/aux. audio input that is very compact (similar in idea to Bose Wave system). I have also noticed that Philips sells a soundbar complete w/ DVD player but it is fairly large. Something like that on a smaller scale would work too. My reasons for this type of setup are just too complicated to explain. Any thoughts?

Collapse -
You/we aren't home yet. OK, we really have to know your
by NM_Bill / October 15, 2007 11:19 AM PDT

budget. I am not a fan of HTIB systems as they involve substantial quality compromises. I am fond of at least starting with just two good speakers. Good speaker speciality makers make the best speakers, not afterthoughts from component makers.

An independent audio system will have sound much better than most all TVs. You need a receiver for a power source. $250 & substantially up depending on long term needs.

Then a universal player. They play DVDs & CDs alike. The direct sold Oppo brand @ about $190 is a great value & performer.

Then on to speakers. They deserve to be heard & compared before making a choice. Needn't be extravagent, but quality has sort of a minimum price involved. Makers are responding to a fad perhaps of interest in just one long narrow soundbar. Marketing is always looking for fresh stuff for people to respond to & make money selling whatever they think the customer may want. Problem is I don't consider soundbars good investments relative to their relatively high price. Supposedly bouncing sound waves off corners with a bit of time delay for reverberation to simulate depth & ambiance - well I just don't buy that is is best for the money.

Two good speakers & we will pursue that when you get info together about budget.

Collapse -
Another basic option
by Dan Filice / October 15, 2007 1:05 PM PDT

Aside from the good suggestions by NM_Bill, you could do what I did many years ago: Go to Radio Shack, buy their $49 stereo amp, buy two of their $49 Minimus-7 speakers, then buy a portable CD player (basically what replaced Walkmans before the iPods came around). The amp is about the size of a VHS tape, the portable CD player can fit right on top, and you can separate your speakers to give great stereo separation. After 15 years, I still have my Radio Shack amp and speakers that I use outdoors for pool music.

Collapse -
small and simple?
by tadam1080 / October 16, 2007 5:41 AM PDT

i'm not really sure what the complication is, but if you are willing to spend good money, don't get bose. buy seperate components like the other posters said. if you want something that sounds as good (if not much better then bose) that takes up almost no room and would only set you back $400, then get an oppo 970 universal player(award winning audio perfomance), and logitech Z-5500 speakers. they are THX certified. they are relatively small speakers, the control dock is even smaller than the bose equivalent and it has a digital coax and optical input, as well as analog inputs. extremely simple. the speakers are well made, small and are better quality than bose(sound and materials). if small and simple is what you are looking for and you still want good sound then for the money this combo can not be beat.

PS cds sound amazing on this set up. i love listening to my collection because i hear instruments and sounds that i never noticed before. cd's also sound airy and three dimensional. there is sound coming from places where there is no speaker. dvd-audio and sacd also sound great.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?