Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

What the? My Nescape Bookmarks are in Firefox Profiles!?????

I just posted on where the heck to find my Netscape and Firefox bookmarks so I could back them up after just losing tons of both after some junk software blew all of it away. I found the Netscape ones using the %AppData% comman in RUN.

However, I could not find a folder for Mozilla Firefox. I looked and looked and nothing. I closed it and then hit the same command again. This time Mozilla was there and Netcape was gone. Now for the really wild part. The bookmarks in the profile folder under Mozilla/Firefox were the ones for Netscape!

I have tried this command again and again and did searches for bookmarks and the only ones my whole computer finds is the bookmark files that belongs to Netscape. However, Netscape is showing the bookmarks in Netscape like it should and Firefox is showing my Firefox bookmarks, but I have no file *of* those bookmarks any place.

Please, help. I feel like I'm losing my mind. Of course I'm using XP and its' why I'm posting here. And I have the newest version of Firefox, 1.04 and Netscape 7.2.

Lori, desperate..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What the? My Nescape Bookmarks are in Firefox Profiles!?????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What the? My Nescape Bookmarks are in Firefox Profiles!?????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sadly, No

In reply to: Response

Nothing in there tells me anything I need to know. I checked that before as well. I'm lost as to where the file is or any of this. I feel like "Twiight Zone" music should be playing..

Thanks though.

Collapse -
Cousins

In reply to: What the? My Nescape Bookmarks are in Firefox Profiles!?????

Mozilla and Netscape are two related programs. Mozilla was born from the ashes of Netscape, and then Netscape was born from Mozilla (though no ashes this time).

Anyway... If you open Firefox, and go to the bookmark manager thing, there's an option to export your bookmarks under File. Just use that to save them to some location of your choosing.

Collapse -
Thank You

In reply to: Cousins

I had a feeling that both being "related" it has something to do with this, and the fact that I can find my Netscape bookmaks now and back them up on a small jumpdrive (with every day documents) made me thrilled. Now I can get Firefox's, too. Thanks!

Lori

Collapse -
try this site...

In reply to: Thank You

news://news.mozilla.org:119/netscape.public.general

Collapse -
Can't Click

In reply to: try this site...

Hi,

I can't click the link, but I'm all set and have it all figured out now. Thanks though -- I appreciate the trouble Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.