Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

What tells Windows which admin to log in

by k1dub / February 5, 2010 6:54 AM PST

Sorry couldn't get help on my other question. XP Pro SP3
If there is more than one admin. What tells Windows to open the login box, in classic mode, with what admin.?
I need to delete whatever tells windows as I have already deleted the admin account yet it still insists with opening the login box with that admin.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What tells Windows which admin to log in
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What tells Windows which admin to log in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You tell Windows which account to log into
by Steven Haninger / February 5, 2010 7:10 AM PST

when using the classic screen though it will default to the last one used. There is "the" administrator account and as many as have been made using this one or other admin accounts. You don't want to monkey with "the" administrator account however. Where you'd go to remove unwanted admin accounts is the control panel under User Accounts. As an administrator or "the" administrator you can manage other admin accounts or remove them.

Collapse -
Did that
by k1dub / February 5, 2010 10:37 PM PST

A program added and I think changed my admin account to THEIR admin account. I uninstalled the program and it left pieces all over the place including the admin account. Naturally it would automatically log in under their account and I couldn't get to my documents etc. Changing users didn't help.
I deleted that account so my admin account is the only one. However at the login screen it would freeze, so I had to go in in safe mode and change login in to classic mode. Now the classic mode still comes up with the login box with the old admin name and PW, tells me it can't find it. I then have to delete it and put in my name and pw to boot.

I need to find where in windows it tells the login screen to come up with the old admin account by default.

Collapse -
"A" program did this??
by Steven Haninger / February 5, 2010 10:53 PM PST
In reply to: Did that

Tell more about the program...what it was and where you got it.

Collapse -
login
by k1dub / February 6, 2010 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: "A" program did this??

It was a proprietary program from SPX. It allows me to use my computer to scan and diagnose outboard motors.
I went around and around with SPX about this problem. They suggested a clean format and reinstall, no I'm not going to do that. Or reinstall the program and uninstall again, no I'm not going to take the chance of it screwing with the computer again. Or spending $1500 for an upgraded program. No there too, they were useless.

I just need to know what, where, in windows directs the login box to open with X name and PW. I suspect it may be in the registry but couldn't find anything.
Did a clean of the registry files with another program.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?