Video Cameras forum

General discussion

What specs to look for when adding 2nd camcorder to a shoot?

by justjacks / July 17, 2007 4:36 AM PDT

I have a Panasonic PV-GS65 and want an additional camcorder for my video shoots. What aspects do I need to be aware of when choosing my second camcorder? I have been hard pressed to find another GS65 (budget, budget, budget) so I am wondering how close to the GS65 specs do I need to be and what would the viewer notice with two different camera outputs? I intend to broadcast on internet and community TV so my quality standards aren't blockbuster. This is my first query regarding this, so any knowledge/advice is welcome. Cheers, justjacks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What specs to look for when adding 2nd camcorder to a shoot?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What specs to look for when adding 2nd camcorder to a shoot?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have found that the most noticeable differences include:
by Kiddpeat / July 17, 2007 4:59 AM PDT

Lense focus and clarity
color temperature and gamut
color saturation
exposure

and a host of other things. Differences in some aspects of the image can be compensated for in the video editing process. However, if the video is live, additional hardware will probably be needed to adjust the output from each camera to achieve a match.

As with all cameras, it's a lot easier if you get it right in the camera, but low cost equipment does not usually offer the necessary manual controls.

Collapse -
On the specifications side of things...
by justjacks / July 17, 2007 6:24 AM PDT

I have read about the distinct image differences between 1CCD and 3CCD cameras (and am inclined to go with a second 3CCD camera, same manufacturer even) but how noticeable is the difference between cameras with differing Effective Pixel Counts. Some sources claim the GS65 has an EFC of 3 x 290K for a total of 870K EFC. What would the viewer see if using a 2nd 3CCD camera with an EFC of 640K (or one that would be higher, for that matter)? Does any of this EFC stuff matter anyhow when viewing via TV/Monitors? Cheers, justjacks.

Collapse -
From my experience, the pixel count is not
by boya84 / July 17, 2007 6:45 AM PDT

that big of a deal... or maybe it is the mix of cameras we're using.

I was on a shoot with my Sony HDR-HC1 a couple of months ago. Also shooting were 2 Canon XL2, a Panasonic HVX100 and a Panasonic HDX200.

We all set to 4:3. We all set to 1/30 shutter and we all white-balanced off the same card at the same time.

The [very experienced] editor cannot tell which camera shot which footage.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!