General discussion

What special characters can you use in a domain name?

I'm trying to set up a domain name, but I'm having problems. Most of the names I would like to use are already taken. I know you can use an underscore (_) in a domain name and a dash (-). Are there any other special characters I can use. Specifically, I'd like to use the single quote (') to use Amelia's.

Thanks,
Amelia

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: What special characters can you use in a domain name?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What special characters can you use in a domain name?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
special characters

The only valid characters for a domain name are letters, numbers and a hyphen "-". Other special characters like the underscore "_" or an exclamation mark "!" are NOT permitted.

For example: your name.com is incorrect because no spaces are allowed and your-name.com is correct.

A domain name can be up to 67 characters long -- including the 4 characters used to identify the Top Level Domain (.net, .com or .org). Do not type the "www." before your domain name when registering.

vc

- Collapse -
Thank You!

Thanks very much for your reply. It is valuable information for me. Now I can choose a good domain name.

Amelia Happy

- Collapse -
not quite acurate (Internationalized domain names)

A number of top level domains have allowed other charaters since 1998.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name

And it is very likely that language groups that use non-english alphabets (Chinese, Japanese, Greek, etc) will soom ne able to petition ICAN for allowing their charater sets to be a part of domain names. At least half of the people who use the web do not know english and have another charater set for their written language.

Honestly, aside from not using the special charters (like @ . and Happy there has never been any rational reason for the character restrictions placed on qualiifed domain names. This is another mess created by ICAN when it was run as a private USA controled club, in which most of the powerful people were barly technically literate.

Incidentally it is also very common (due to there not being a set of standard libraries or web sites onecan use to qualify an email as valid) for applications and web sites to refuse to allow email addresses where the user name contains a PERIOD oir UNDERSCORE (completely legal) or where the qualified domiain has a MINUS in it.

- Collapse -
Re : What special characters can you use in a domain name?

Hello Amelia

As per google guideline, you should not used any special characters in your domain name. Try to make your domain as simple as you can. Happy

Thanks & Regards

- Collapse -
(NT) you are apsulately right a domain should be user friendly.
- Collapse -
My Reply

Hyphens are acceptable for domain names. Just be careful in using hyphens because I've read from some articles online that they tend to be spammy.

- Collapse -
using of special charector in a Domain

Always a domain should be user friendly so try to make a domain as less as you can.

- Collapse -
special characters which are using in a domain name?

Valid characters that can be used in a domain name are:

A-Z, the digits 0-9 and hyphen (-)

A domain name must contain 67 characters long...

Thanks
Kanav

CNET Forums

Forum Info