TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

what speakers to match up with denon avr-2807

by lbranso / August 16, 2006 1:48 PM PDT

if you spend the money on a good reciever like the 2807 how much or what speakers do you match up with this reciever.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what speakers to match up with denon avr-2807
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what speakers to match up with denon avr-2807
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
speakers
by supertoad / August 16, 2006 2:02 PM PDT

the receiver is critical to a system, however, speakers are where you should really spend your money, i recommend paradigm reference series, in whichever configuration suits your room. be sure to use adp surrounds.

Collapse -
SPEND ONE MILLION DOLLORS ON SPEAKERS HA HA
by stewart norrie / August 16, 2006 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: speakers

A top quality 5.1. speaker system will give you a lifetime of joy, You will never have to upgrade them and if used properly they will last a lifetime. 8 month ago I invested in a 5.1 atlantic Tewchnology 4200 system along witha DENON 3805 amp And I still get a thrill when I listen to my system, Iam not saying that you should buy a/ts, but take time and go to every demo room you can find and take along a good d.v.d. movie or c.d. And remember they will be using different amps but really all quality amps are goping to sound the same . just focus on the speakers. Also when you buy top quality speakers the manufactor will stand behind there product good luck and please post back to us and give us a review on your system and dont forget the snack bar stewee

Collapse -
Speakers
by RoadRunner6 / August 16, 2006 3:03 PM PDT

Well, it really doesn't make any difference what brand and model you have, only that you have a medium priced receiver in the $1100 range. That lets me know all I need to know to start.

What we really want to know is: what is your budget for speakers, what kind of music, movies, how loud, describe your room and furnishings in detail, do you prefer floorstanding, smaller speakers on stands or speakers on the wall, is there a large TV involved? We want to know the same things a good salesperson would ask.

Give us as much info as possible then we can give you some intelligent choices to consider.

RR6

Collapse -
more info
by lbranso / August 17, 2006 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Speakers

my living room is large with cathedral celiengs. I will have a 62 inch dlp in a entertainment system so the speakers will be bookshelf speekers in the furniture. Can I go with bose 301 bookshelf and a different center channel and diifferent sub or should it all match. or should I spend les on the reciever and more on speakers

Collapse -
I'll be the first to tell you
by speleofool / August 17, 2006 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: more info

Stay away from Bose!! Happy

Many more will suggest the same. They really aren't great speakers. Do a search on the forum for countless explanations of why to avoid them in a nice home theater.

Invest more money in better speakers and relatively less on the receiver. It's all important, but the speakers much more so than the receiver. The best approach to building the right theater is to find speakers you love first, then find a receiver that meets the needs of those speakers (and has the features you desire).

Best of luck!
Speleo.

Collapse -
Well,
by RoadRunner6 / August 17, 2006 5:18 PM PDT

You still didn't give us a budget figure so I'll just say that you should if possible keep the left and right speakers out of the entertainment center. If you want bookshelf size speakers then put them on stands. If you insist on placing them in the center then make sure the leading edge of the left and right speakers are an inch or two ahead of the leading edge of the center. The center channel should be either directly an top of or below the screen.

All five speakers should be from the same series of speakers and from the same brand (this means they have the same tweeter and the same sonic ''voicing''). The sub can be from a different brand but needs to have the proper settings for a good match.

Suggest you look at 5.1 (5 speakers and a sub) system from brands such as the Pro Cinema Series from Definitive Technology, the Take Series from Energy and other systems from Polk, Paradigm, Mirage and Axiom to mention a few (forget Bose, extremely overpriced for mediocre sound). With the Denon AVR 2807 about $1500 -$3000 might be a good price range to start with.

RR6

Collapse -
BIG ROOM=BIG SPEAKERS!!!!
by jcrobso / August 18, 2006 12:48 AM PDT

I have done Pro sound reninforcement for years. The saying is "No highs, no lows, Must be BO$E".
Again I Ditto what RR6 says, a $1500 budget to start.
Every one has thier favorite speakers. So you could add JBL and Klisph to the list. There are just so many realy good speakers on the markert and Bo$e in not one of them. John

Collapse -
compatibility
by avgal / July 3, 2009 9:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Speakers

a pair of quad 21 l2s, marantz sa 7001 cd player, denon 2807 avr, denon 29f turntable.

Collapse -
Reply to: what speakers to match up with denon avr-2807
by jcrobso / August 17, 2006 1:57 AM PDT

Ditto to what RR6 said!!!
Speakers ARE the most important part of a sound system!!
Take what you spent for the Dennon and bouble it, this should be your starting budget for speakers + or - a little.
Spend a lot of time listening to speakers, take some of your faviorate CDs. Some speakers may sound good when you first listen to them, but after a hour or so of listening they don't sound as good. This is called "listing fatigue". A realy good set of speakers you can listen to the rest of your life and not get tired of them. john

Collapse -
You can't overdo it on speakers...
by speleofool / August 17, 2006 5:17 AM PDT

I have a high-end 5.1 system, and I invested roughly 10x in speakers what I spent on my receiver. I think this may represent a somewhat extreme example, but the point is the same as others are making:

Put as much into speakers as you can justify and afford. The speakers are what give you great sound. A good receiver will just provide a cleaner input to let that great sound shine through.

Cheers!
Speleo.

Collapse -
SPEAKERS, SPEAKERS, SPEAKERS................
by Riverledge / August 17, 2006 8:36 AM PDT

FIRST I'D START with a 5.1 speaker set-up. Don't worry about the A/V receiver;
until after you've choosen the speakers. Some suggestions include MIRAGE, BOSTON ACOUSTICS, KLIPSCH, CAMBRIDGE SOUNDWORKS, and ENERGY (among others.)

Other receivers to consider are NAD, ONYKO, & SONY ES.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.