TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What sound card for Klipsch 5.1?

I have a Klipsch 5.1 ProMedia Ultra heading towards me in the mail at the moment and I dont want all that money to goto waste by not getting the most out of my new system! So I need to acquire a lovely sound card to compliment this new PC sound system beast. I have never messed with computer sound (i am on my first gaming rig) so figured I would reach out to this community for some help on choosing and insurance i'll be able to hook everything up right, and be happy with it, the first time.

Thus I ask,

What is the best sound card to compliment a Klipsch 5.1 ProMedia Ultra system?

NOTES:

I saved money on the sound system so I can pay whatever for the sound card.

I am running high class gaming system with windows Vista 64 bit. So looking for good compatiblity as well.

Thanks guys!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What sound card for Klipsch 5.1?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What sound card for Klipsch 5.1?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"gaming system with windows Vista 64 bit". Your brave!

In reply to: What sound card for Klipsch 5.1?

Collapse -
There must be pioneers to tackle gaming in windows vista!

In reply to: "gaming system with windows Vista 64 bit". Your brave!

And with that said im taking the challenge head on!

I am running a P5W Delux mobo. Its onboard sound is a realtek card, but it does not support EAX 3.0 or 4.0, which is the 3d sound engine for most computer games, or which is what I am under the impression of.

Its a bloody shame, the built in card even has an optical out, but I wont let fancy compatibility features on the front let me be blind to the poorer sound card quality i would receive vs an upper end card on the market.

I am just seeing if any sound guru can throw togeather the compatibility issues with the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra and a sound card better than I can.

Collapse -
Keep your onboard.

In reply to: There must be pioneers to tackle gaming in windows vista!

Hi Blue,

I was in your exact situation. I have your mobo and some nice speakers.

I was torn because I believed I was missing something in my games because of the missing EAX support. I broke down and bought the X-FI.

There was no appreciable sound change in "Battlefield 2142" or in "Company of Heroes". (Those were the two games I had installed before I put in the new card). ** it should be noted that I specifically enabled EAX support on both game and verified that my onboard sound was disabled in the bios et al.

To the cards credit: I *DID* notice a small performance gain (~1 fps) in my games after installing the card.

However, I suffer from (as many other XFI owners) the dreaded snap, crackle pop effect. Creative has since acknowledged the problem is in fact their cards. Rather then describe the issue here, please search "X-FI cracking audio" in google, and read the reviews.

Suffice it to say that my advice is to forget about buying the a new card, as the P5W audio is on par with the best. (minus a few bells and whistles)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.