PC Applications forum

Question

What software can I use to extract data from these files?

by jelton22 / May 30, 2013 12:13 PM PDT

Hi there,

What software can I use to extract data from these files? They were created via samsung recovery software which I can't use anymore because i dont have a samsung machine.

This is what they look like on the backup drive:
- user01.mast
- User01.w01 (goes through to w68, each file approx 4gb each)
- user01.wcl
- user01.woo

tried winzip, peazip, 7-zip, thinking I might need to use a system recovery tool?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What software can I use to extract data from these files?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What software can I use to extract data from these files?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
They look like proprietary format files
by wpgwpg / May 30, 2013 12:27 PM PDT

Normally you have to have the program that created such files to recover data from them. So I'd try to see if I could buy the program from Samsung or find someone who has it to get what you want. This is why I always use something like Norton Ghost, Easeus Todo Backup Free, or one of the hundred programs you can find at
http://download.cnet.com/windows/backup-software/?tag=contentBody;sideBar .

Some of these are free (last time I checked there were over 300), some have free trials (over 1000), and some are purchase only (over 200).
-
Good luck.

Collapse -
That software got me into this mess in the first place
by jelton22 / May 30, 2013 12:52 PM PDT

Thanks for the response wpgwpg.

Unfortunately its the recovery software that got me into this mess in the first place.

You can download the softwawre free from the samsung website but there are a number of issues with doing this:
1. The software is very limited and only has a full system recovery option as opposed to "just extract my files". The full system recovery completes successfully (i think) but when the system restarts Windows is nowhere to be found, it loads straight into "Aptio setup utility". I save and exit but it keeps looping back to Aptio.
2. It wont install on a non samsung machine. This error comes up - "There is no Recovery Solution area on your hard disk drive. Setup will be canceled." I think it needs to have some sort of samsung partition set up

Is there any sort of generic tool to extract my data?

Frustrating because I did the right thing and backed up my data but now samsung are denying all responsibility and providing no support (even though its their software). My laptop which is under warranty is only covered for hardware support.

Collapse -
Here's what I'd do
by wpgwpg / May 30, 2013 9:39 PM PDT

I feel your pain! Since you can get the files restored by wiping out your Windows setup, I'd make myself a bootable DVD with something like Ubuntu. Back up your system with a good program like Easeus Todo Backup Free, and make a recovery CD for the Easeus backup program. Then you could run the Samsung program which I take it would restore the data to the C: drive. After that boot from the Ubuntu DVD and copy your data to your external hard drive. At this point you could boot from the Easeus recovery CD and restore your system. This is a lot of hoops to jump through, and would probably take half a day to do, but it's probably the best you're going to be able to do, given the restrictions of the Samsung program. Unless of course you could find someone with a Samsung computer.
You can download Ubuntu from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop .
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Now that's thinking outside the square!
by jelton22 / June 1, 2013 6:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's what I'd do

Brilliant, this is exactly the type of thing I was after, a creative solution to a needless problem!
I'll give it a go then let you have the good news!

Collapse -
hi..
by yogi261983 / April 14, 2015 1:37 AM PDT

did you get any solution to the problem you had with samsung recovery files...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!