Windows Vista forum

General discussion

What smartphone will work :out of the box" with Vista?

by Catherine533 / November 7, 2010 10:25 PM PST

I am looking for an unlocked gsm smartphone that will sync to my Office 2010 Outlook. I am not interested at this point in a contract because I need few minutes and don't need data support (I have a wireless network st home and wifi is readily available. Would like option to add later if desired) I have a Dell Studio 1537, 4gb memory, 64 bit laptop, I am running Vista Home Premium (2007) Service Pack 2, 32 bit. I have tried 2 phones, A new (but oplder) T-mobile Dash (not a 3g) and an HTC Wizard and neither will work and I have spent countless hours on the phone with Microsoft; downloaded new / old Activesync - won't let me choose the items I need, Mobile Office in various versions and NADA - I want to scream. I have researched this on the web and all I seem to learn is that Vista is cursed.
1) What phone work with my set-up?
2) If none, what do I need to do to get a decent phone to sync? (ie: upgrade to Win 7?) and what phones would you recommend.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What smartphone will work :out of the box" with Vista?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What smartphone will work :out of the box" with Vista?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have to answer "NONE!"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2010 11:28 PM PST

But when I read "won't let me choose the items I need" I was hoping to see what those items were.

But your question "What smartphone will work :out of the box" with Vista?" is easy to answer. It's none.

How can I answer this? I'm an author of PDA and now smart phone apps from PalmOS, Windows Mobile and now Android. At the office I get to use many models and can see what does and does not work.

Not a single phone worked out of the box with any version of Windows. And the issues of Active Sync (which is not used in 7 or Vista, see WMDC) are legendary.

==> Can you reveal what you need to sync? If you write all then there is nothing "out of the box" that does that.

Collapse -
Vista is the devil
by Catherine533 / November 8, 2010 5:20 AM PST

Hi Bob - thanks for helping me sort this out:

The device will connect via USB using Windows Mobile (Version unknown. There are 4 icons to choose from:
1-Programs and Services,
2-Pictures, Music and Video,
3-File Management
4-Mobile Device Settings.

In trying to set up the partnership I go into Mobile Device Settings & choose "Change content sync settings." The choices available are:
5-mobile favorites
6-files (sync settings)
6-microsoft OneNote

At the minimum I need calendar and tasks. Would like all. The software only allows me to check "Mobile Favorites" and "Files". I have no pre-conceived notions about any phone, I do like touch screen, need wifi and syncing abiity.

I had elected to upgrade to Office 2010 instead of Win 7 - this seems like a mistake now. If I will have more options / better options I am willing to fork out some more moola and get windows 7. I am totally confused by the various versions of Windows Mobile, Active Sync - my system is 64 bit, which is yet another kink in the clarity of the solution. Right now it seems I need to get win 7 (32 bit)on my laptop and a win 7 phone - please tell me that is no so! I have considered getting just a PDA, but I see the same problems & why carry two devices?

Collapse -
You're right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2010 5:58 AM PST
In reply to: Vista is the devil

A PDA will have the same sync issues. I'm a bit surprised that the calendar didn't sync as the Outlook 2010 sync issue was predominantly in the Office 64 bit version which is not possible on Vista 32 bit.

--> But I do see an omission in your post. I don't see which smart phone you used. For example the calendar does sync with some limitations on Windows Mobile phones. Other phones may differ and I haven't had a chance to see how the droid syncs on the calendar.

Collapse -
Right, but wrong!
by Catherine533 / November 8, 2010 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: You're right.

Last week the phone was a used HTC 8125 WIZARD.

This week the phone was a NEW HTC T-MOBILE DASH S620.

Both had the exact same problems - I now see a trend, don't need a third to see a problem here! lol

Collapse -
The third.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2010 6:20 AM PST
In reply to: Right, but wrong!

As I have Windows Mobile devices and phones I can write that Microsoft made sure the calendar worked with some limitations. Mostly to do with repeating events and creation of such on the mobile.

Now that you told the models I could guess what mobile OS they ran but then I'd have to work hard. Remember this is all volunteer so I ask you make your posts complete so I don't have to go look for more details like that.

Have you read and tried this? Link only:

Collapse -
by Catherine533 / November 8, 2010 6:43 AM PST
In reply to: The third.

I do appreciate your help, and will provide info you request - In general I do not know what you need... Below is the info you requested:
#1 - HTC 8125 had Windows Mobile 6.1 TOUCH
#2 - HTC T-MOBILE DASH S620 had Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0

I was not familiar with the site your provided. However, I have reviewed many in the past 2 weeks - the more I read the more contradictions I find and am only more confused. (I thought this was suppose to be easy?)

HYPOTHETICALLY: If I ditch the Dash and start over. . . will I have better luck getting a phone to sync if I have Windows 7 on my machine? If yes, do I need a WM 6.5 phone? (If not, what? - Please note that I will not hold you responsible for a less than perfect outcome.) I just would like to know the computer system requirements and phone requirements that will work together with the least problems - then I think I can go from there. However, if you think I should avoid a particular phone / software for some reason, I would appreaciate that info as well. Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
Another thought
by Catherine533 / November 8, 2010 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrade?

What about a Palm? Lots of options there it seems?

Collapse -
Which Palm?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2010 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: Another thought

We have no less than 3 varieties with PalmOS, WinMo and WebOS. Each are far from perfect in calendar sync with Outlook 2010 and 2 of the 3 OSes are no longer supported.

Ok, Now about WinMo 5 or 6.1., Outlook 2010 and 64 bit = unlikely to ever work. You can tell why at:"The+WMDC+will+not+be+upgraded+to+work+on+64-bit+Windows+when+64-bit+Outlook+2010+is+installed."

Let's just say that this will not work out.

Use Google Sync and then sync that to Outlook. Start here:

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?