Desktops forum

General discussion

What Should I Expect From my Graphics Card.

My system specs are as follows.
Amd 64 2800
Geforce 6800
1 Gig of Ram
Gigabyte sp pro motherboard.
7200 RPM 200 Gig Harddrive
Xp Home

Heres my question. I am used to being a consol gamer and recently ive been trying to game with my pc. My brother does it all the time but he currently left for a "2 year commitment" (some of you will know waht this means) and i dont have anyone to ask my questions to. Basically im running games like Doom 3 ROE, Half Life 2, Doom 3, counterstrike etc. I get a steady 60 FPS but it dips down to 30-40-50 fps in heavy graphics areas (wide open places, Heavy fights etc) Should i expect this to happen and try to ignore it? Somone told me "this is apart of gaming with computers" It would be nice to just get 60 fps and nothing less. Would upgrading to something like a 6800 GT or a X800 pro get me this 60 fps and nothing under. It just takes away from the game when i get less than 60 FPS. Also, heres something interesting with my card. When i turn the graphics down i dont get much if any preformance difference... hmmm. Also, when i overclock my card it makes my card run slower.... lol. Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What Should I Expect From my Graphics Card.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What Should I Expect From my Graphics Card.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re

In reply to: What Should I Expect From my Graphics Card.

get the evga 6600gt at newegg. it will run all ur games at high settings fine.

if u can afford it, the 6800gt and x800xl both offer higher performance but at least 2x the cost.

Collapse -
Well...

Hey,

I am wondering what wattage is your power supply? Like 300watt or what? I think your card recommends 350W or even more really for it to operate properly. Is your RAM good? You should check it just in case. I am not sure what software you use to check it, someone here provided it earlier, sorry.

I would have said in response to lower your settings (in doom3)(in HL2 Nvidia is known for not performing at top notch)but you did and that didn't help. Try lowering the AA or AF,t hat is a BIG factor and when overclocking your video card do it in small increments so u don't overclock too much which will result in performance issues. Is it AGP? If so it needs a power donggle or whatever it's called connected your power supply. The manual should provide this information I assume. Plus many have posted about that here as well.

So please respond what your wattage is your power supply.

Thanks,

SeaninWa

Collapse -
re

my bad. i c u already have the 6800.

well it should run fine. when u oc it it should not go slower. also gaming around 60fps is pretty good already. try turing down the settings. the frame rate should increase.

Collapse -
My video card...

dances around the room when it's happy.

Wink JDM

Collapse -
It does get 60 FPS

In reply to: My video card...

It does get 60 fps in like hallways and rooms, just it dips down to 30,40,50 fps in big fights and large areas, is this normal?

Collapse -
Considering...

In reply to: It does get 60 FPS

the fact that those are some of the most graphics-intensive games you can get, I would say that your card's performance is pretty normal.

Wink JDM

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.