Computer Help forum

General discussion

What should I do if my computer says this:

by kxaxrxl / March 4, 2007 8:22 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What should I do if my computer says this:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What should I do if my computer says this:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this a Radio Shack computer?
by Coryphaeus / March 4, 2007 8:35 AM PST

Hint, hint.

Collapse -
no
by kxaxrxl / March 4, 2007 8:42 AM PST

no? it is an old ibm laptop. i dont really care if the computer works, all i really wanna know is if it is possible to take out the hard drive so i can get old files off of it?

Collapse -
You may be able
by PudgyOne / March 4, 2007 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: no

to hook up the hard drive as a slave and get the information off of it. Depends on what part of the hard drive failed.

Rick

Collapse -
Another option is to boot to a Linux live CD...
by linkit / March 4, 2007 12:13 PM PST

...and copy out your files to other media.

Knoppix
Damn Small Linux

Just curious--what laptop model, what OS?

Collapse -
Highly doubt it is standard ide.
by strickjh2005 / March 4, 2007 2:44 PM PST

Ususally some mini ide crap. You need the pin layouts from the manufacturer to hack your own ide for it.

Collapse -
Yes, you can take it out...
by Edward ODaniel / March 5, 2007 2:21 AM PST

but as to whether you can access any files on it depends on whether the drive's failure is the cause of the message (a dead drive) or if the message is caused by an interface error or corrupt CMOS.

After getting the drive out of the laptop you can discover whether it is IDE, SCSI (not too probable) or if a real old laptop even MFM (Modified Frequency Modulation) or RLL (Run-Length Limited).

Once you have discovered the type you can find an adapter that will allow it to be installed on another computer either as a slave or as an external drive (although SCSI, MFM, and RLL would also require locating and installing a suitable paddle card).

If it is IDE an adapter such as this one is what you would need.
LAPTOP to IDE HARD DRIVE ADAPTER
Connects a 2.5in hard drive to standard IDE connector. Retrieve files from a laptop that won't start up!

Have you tried booting it from the floppy to see if it finds the floppy and have you taken a look at the CMOS settings as they would indicate (by the clock) whether the CMOS battery might be dead and causing all the problems?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?