Speakeasy forum

Question

What should I buy?

by LynthiaD / July 8, 2012 11:13 PM PDT

I've got a Dell with Windows XP Home Edition. Starting uni in September as a mature student and would like to be confident that PC wasn't going to break down in the middle of the course. The monitor, mouse, keyboard etc are fine. Can I just buy a new box with the hard drive etc? I'd be grateful for any advice/suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What should I buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What should I buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Can I just buy a new box with the hard drive etc?
by James Denison / July 9, 2012 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: What should I buy?
Can I just buy a new box with the hard drive etc?

Are you wanting to buy a new box and use the same hard drive in it? Better to keep the old drive in the old box and use "ghosting" software available from most hard drive suppliers to make a complete copy of the old drive to the new drive. That way you can have two computers with exactly the same info on them, and let the old be your emergency backup computer.

I personally use two computers at the same time with a KVM switch between them.

A good used computer can save you some money. I like geeks.com and tigerdirect.com for "whitebox" type computers if that's what you are looking for, but there are other good sites like newegg.com too.
Collapse -
Could run afoul of licensing requirements that way
by Steven Haninger / July 9, 2012 3:13 AM PDT

and wind up with a disabled PC. "Ghosted" images really only work properly on identical hardware and won't raise eyebrows at MS if a volume licensed copy of Windows is used.

Collapse -
Yes, some driver adjustments
by James Denison / July 9, 2012 12:54 PM PDT

would need to be loaded and XP be reactivated probably. If it's not gone through the activation process in the past 3 months on the old computer, then may not be a problem on the new computer, especially if using the retail version of XP.

Collapse -
Thanks
by LynthiaD / July 26, 2012 11:14 PM PDT

Hi Stephen,
Sorry it has taken me so long to say thanks, my PC crashed completely so I have had someone look at it. I've been using a clickfree device so I was confident that I had everything I needed so they restored the factory settings and it now seems to be working.
My original question was meant to be about whether I could just buy the part of the PC that the keyboard, monitor, mouse, printer etc plug into. Like buying seperates rather that a music system - you can buy a new amp and use it with the turntable, tuner, speakers you already have.
Lynthia.

Collapse -
(NT) http://boldersports.com/402-motorbike-leather-suit/
by Asifprince / July 27, 2012 6:29 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks
by LynthiaD / July 26, 2012 11:06 PM PDT

Thanks James.
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, my pc kept crashing so I took it in to have it looked at. Luckily I have been using a clickfree back up device so they just took it back to factory settings and it seems to be working again.
As you can tell I don't know anything about IT. I don't even know what the box and all the things that go inside it are called. I meant like music systems where you bought seperates so you could replace the amp and still use the old turntable, tape deck, speakers etc. Can I buy a new box with a new hard drive and operating system and keep the mouse, monitor, printer etc that I already have?

Collapse -
Answer
Nod to geeks.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2012 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: What should I buy?

But computers like photo copiers know when to break. Nothing today can stop this.

Be sure that your work is safe on your usual 3 or more copies to 3 or more places.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by LynthiaD / July 26, 2012 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Nod to geeks.com

Thanks Bob,
Sorry it has taken me so long to say thanks but my PC crashed completely so I have had someone look at it. I have been using a clickfree device so they took it back to factory settings and it seems to be working ok. I know what you mean about things breaking down at the worst possible moment so I will take your advice and save my work on a pen drive as well as the clickfree.
Lynthia.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?