Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What should I be looking at for Internet security, anti viru

by lablover / December 3, 2007 5:34 AM PST

My Norton Internet Security is about to expire in 2 weeks.
I've read the latest CNET review of Norton IS 2008, and it's not good.

I've been looking to replace Norton, if for no other reason, because it's such a system hog.

There are many products available for Internet security, anti virus, etc.

What are the experts using, please?

THANKS!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What should I be looking at for Internet security, anti viru
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What should I be looking at for Internet security, anti viru
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are many recommendations in
by roddy32 / December 3, 2007 6:03 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) OK Roddy you beat me half a second. LOL
by Larry38 / December 3, 2007 6:08 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Great minds think alike Larry. :)
by roddy32 / December 3, 2007 6:14 AM PST
Collapse -
Please read this thread.
by Larry38 / December 3, 2007 6:03 AM PST
Collapse -
Internet Security products
by lablover / December 3, 2007 9:21 PM PST

What I'm looking for is recommendations from users of these products.
The threads you mention will take awhile to read. Time is a factor here.

Collapse -
Those would all be personal choices
by roddy32 / December 3, 2007 10:31 PM PST

Different things work for different people and different setups on their computers. If you get 10 people to recommend what they use, you are going to get 10 different opinions.

Collapse -
Re: Internet Security
by Carol~ Moderator / December 4, 2007 1:48 AM PST

labover:

'What I'm looking for is recommendations from users of these products. The threads you mention will take awhile to read. Time is a factor here.'

Below are recommendations from user's of products found through using the search function at the top of the forum. You'll find plenty of recommendations. If time is a factor, you've got a lot of reading to do, but the information you asked for is there. Wink

This may not be recommendations, but it's a site where you'll find independent comparatives of AV software:
http://www.av-comparatives.org//

Threads regarding:

Internet Security

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=212997&messageID=2288184#2288184

Free Anti-Virus Software

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=51272&messageID=610557#610557

All threads matching Internet Security

http://forums.cnet.com/5238-7813-0.html?kw=internet+security&select=forum&forumID=32&threadID=&messageType=1&tag=srchbr

More:

http://forums.cnet.com/5238-7813-0.html?kw=Which+antivirus+should+I+use&select=forum&forumID=32&threadID=&messageType=1&tag=srchbr&start=10

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Internet Security Programs
by bdomek / December 4, 2007 10:07 AM PST

Ok. You can begin with antivirus. You can use AVG free, Kaspersky Free, or PC Tools Free antivirus. They're all recommended by Kim Komando, a techie with her own website. www.komando.com.

Then for antispyware programs. I personally use AVG Antispyware, Spybot S&D (Search & Destroy), Ad-aware SE Personal and, Superantispyware. You can get all of these, except Superantispyware, from www.komando.com and this website. Superantispyware you get from www.superantispyware.com.

Last, but not least, a good Firewall. You can find a free one on this website. There are a few. I use Zonealarm from zonelabs. It takes a little getting used to telling it which sites are ok and which aren't, but once you get used to it, it's really good.

How do I know all of this? I have all of these on my own computer, and, when I work on someone elses, and they don't want to spend a fortune on software either, I install them on theirs.

I totally agree with you regarding Norton. That software is a space hog, and, it also causes your memory chips to heat up too much, which, wears them out faster.

Hope this helps.
Barb

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.