Speakeasy forum

General discussion

What's your Body Mass Index (BMI)

by caktus / July 6, 2007 6:18 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's your Body Mass Index (BMI)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's your Body Mass Index (BMI)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My results.....
by Angeline Booher / July 7, 2007 12:29 AM PDT

...... recommended 2000 calories per day. If I ate that much, I would look like a balloon. Happy I stay no more than 1000.

However, it did note that the count might not be optimal, and to be sure to weigh every day and adjust accordingly.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
results.....
by caktus / July 7, 2007 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: My results.....

According to the site, I'm obese. Sad I never though that would be the case. I see the Doc about six times a year, he weighs me, but never mentioned weight being a problem. Apparantley, according to the site, I need to be a bit more active. Other health problems keep me from doing much, but guess I better find a way. I'm going to mention the results to my Doc. I wonder what his response will be.

Charlie

Collapse -
I think there can be quite a lot of variation
by Dragon / July 7, 2007 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: results.....

in weight due to bone density and muscle mass. I wouldn't go by that site. Anyway, they told me I needed 2500 calories.

Collapse -
What if it says
by Steven Haninger / July 7, 2007 1:55 AM PDT

You're allowed no food intake for 6 months. Come back then and re-enter your weight. Grin

Collapse -
None of your \%$&#* business!
by drpruner / July 7, 2007 4:38 AM PDT

<grumble grumble Never a Mod around when you need one. Call me fat, will they? grumble grumble>

Collapse -
(NT) WAAAHHHHH!!!! :)
by caktus / July 7, 2007 5:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
I must have missed something ...
by Bill Osler / July 7, 2007 11:10 AM PDT

I found the recommendations for diet and such. It suggested I eat 2400 Cal/day. What I never did see was any information regarding what the program thought of my weight.
Where are y'all seeing that?
It's no big deal. I already know my BMI (~22) and I know what it does or does not mean. I'm just curious where y'all found it at the web site.
BTW:
I don't always follow the nutritional advice. My nurse claims (maybe she's right) that I eat all the chocolate I want and cycle enough to burn it off.

Collapse -
reply to: I must have missed....
by caktus / July 8, 2007 7:22 AM PDT

Not sure if this answers the ?

At the link in post 1, after clicking Submit took me to a page that mentions "The weight you entered is above the healthy range for your height...." with
a "click here" link to more info explaining BMI, and links to
Body Mass Index
Waist circumference
How does overweight or obesity affect my health?
What should I do if my BMI or waist measurement is too high?
Additional Reading

Collapse -
Thanks ...
by Bill Osler / July 8, 2007 9:37 AM PDT

I guess since my weight is healthy it didn't point me to that page.

Collapse -
Dark chocolate
by Dragon / July 8, 2007 3:14 PM PDT

is the best for you. I've read that milk chocolate has marginal nutritional value, and white has zero.

Collapse -
The more bitter...
by Terry Browne / July 8, 2007 4:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Dark chocolate

the better for your health according to some "experts". I guess that goes to show that pure good cocoa without MUCH sugar is the best for you.

Collapse -
I'll take a bit more sugar in mine
by Dragon / July 8, 2007 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: The more bitter...

I think it'll still be good for me, and I'll enjoy it more.

Collapse -
Supposed to lower blood pressure
by Steven Haninger / July 8, 2007 7:23 PM PDT

M & Ms are available as dark chocolate. I tell my wife I'm just taking my BP medicine. Unfortunately, she read the same article I did and reminds me of the small dose that's recommended. Sad

Collapse -
(NT) ALL chocolate is tasty, healthy and fun to eat
by jonah jones / July 8, 2007 8:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
I heard that!
by Bill Osler / July 9, 2007 12:38 PM PDT

I like dark, semi-sweet chocolate the best ... well, actually that's not true. Dark semi-sweet is what I like to have around for everyday nibbling. What I REALLY like the best is dark chocolate truffles with creamy dark chocolate liquor centers. The problem is that I can't keep them around all the time. I eat them too fast and the good ones cost too much.

But milk chocolate, M&Ms, ... they're all good.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.