Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What's wrong with this picture?

by Coryphaeus / March 11, 2007 10:54 AM PDT

Two ratings on AVG AV:

PCWorld - Grisoft AVG Free Edition 7.1
This antivirus program lacks key features and adequate heuristics. None of the three free antivirus products tested for the "The New Virus Fighters" ranked highly, but Grisoft's AVG Antivirus Free Edition holds the distinct honor of having placed last among all ten paid and free contenders due to a clunky interface, the omission of significant features, and below-average performance.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,124490/article.html

CNet - Grisoft AVG Free Edition 7.1
This antiviral program offers rock-solid protection for no financial commitment. AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition provides all the necessities, including a tool for scanning your hard drive and e-mail, as well as a real-time shield to prevent infections.
http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3003-2239_4-10645435.html

Again, what's wrong here? Is CNet on the Grisoft payroll? Is PCWorld full of idiots? Or the reverse?

Opinions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's wrong with this picture?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's wrong with this picture?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There's one thing AVG could do to boost that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2007 11:17 AM PDT

They could hardcode detection for that set to identify the "test virus" that many "researchers" use. It appears this gives AVG less than idyllic ratings. I see both sides on this one.

(researcher) "It didn't detect the test virus."
(pundit) "That's not a real virus."

Bob

Collapse -
My opinion ...
by Brent Welch / March 11, 2007 11:42 AM PDT

Given the comment in the PCWorld article, "Options on the console's left panel, such as the Scheduler, lead to notifications that the features you seek exist only in the paid version of the product, AVG Professional.", I question the extent to which the reviewer tested AVG before writing his review.

Collapse -
Wayne, for What it's Worth.... On Numerous Tests...
by tobeach / March 11, 2007 3:48 PM PDT

(which I take with a LARGE grain of salt), AVG scored in the bottom 1/3rd but.. the test comparisons' programs mostly included programs that also covered Trojans and other Malware which were not true Viruses so AVG missed many of them.
I further noted that those tests were done based on AVG using definitions only.
When AVG Heuristics were enabled, it jumped to the bottom of the TOP
1/3rd (still not catching spyware etc.) I think it's decent for true viruses which is why the joined up with Ewido for their Anti-Spyware.

It still didn't catch the likes of NOD32& KAV, McAfee, Norton but..
AVG is also know for many fewer false positives than those that beat it. The more cutting edge the program, the more subject to F.P.s seems to be the rule.

The above is only based on my memory of what struck me as notable as I perused 2 or 3 test reports so certainly is not the last word in info.

I also tend to note if a reviewing site also pushes paid AV products that advertise on there site. I didn't try to track down any financial relationships to these sites. JMHO! Grin

Collapse -
Some review this is about AVG on PC World
by metmichallica / March 11, 2007 5:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
Let's hope not.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2007 9:35 PM PDT

Some are muddled or confused about the functions of specific software. Why should an antivirus perform the task of a firewall?

Bob

Collapse -
Why are you looking at: Grisoft AVG Free Edition 7.1 ?
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 11, 2007 3:58 PM PDT

The valid version is AVG Free 7.5 !

Collapse -
I would
by metmichallica / March 11, 2007 4:32 PM PDT
http://www.download.com/3000-2239_4-10634953.html?tag=dl.1

have thought Avast would of outperformed Avg, because there are a lot of people happy with it and it got an editor rating of 5 also and I heard less complaints about it.

I also think this is a download site and it's nice that cnet reviews software for us, but you can't trust what that rating is. You have to do your own research, because I think they are simply rating the interface, features, and ease of use not wether it detects all viruses or trojans. I think Avast and Avg both did terrible.

But for some people they might be good enough, it depends what you're surfing habits are.
Collapse -
I Can Honestly Say, After Many Years w/AVG (Free).....
by tobeach / March 12, 2007 3:48 PM PDT
In reply to: I would

I have NEVER received a true virus. I have been hit with the odd exploit based attack (from not being fully patched) but even those few were far between (including "zero" day types.
I found having a hard wired router (w/hardware firewall) stopped alot of possibles leaving my firewall (software) with little to do.

Maybe I've just been lucky but have been known to wander the net w/ only reasonable caution in mind. I usually create a Sys Restore point, after doing all daily updates, before such a wander and can use as my backup protection if need be. Not perfect but seems to work for me.
I thing a background guard such as with AVG Anti-Spy would be of additional help. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.