Computer Help forum

Question

What's wrong with my computer? (Realtek ALC-661 Sound error)

by yanto_schaap / July 6, 2012 8:49 PM PDT

I have a really old computer (some dodgy P4-3ghz with an 'Advanced' brand motherboard) running dinosaur XP. Lately I've been having a sound problem.

The problem is everytime I play music files or video files (even youtube), after I pause it the computer runs really slow (kinda choppy like). It lags when I PAUSE it, not when I play it. When it starts to lag, the only way to make it run smoothly again is if I press the 'play' button. When it lags, I'd check everything from the task manager like the resources that are being used etc. The computer uses up 100% load when this happens (which only drops down after I press the play button again).

Also, prior to this event, the onboard sound (Realtek ALC-661) always pops up a balloon showing that a device has been plugged in (when I haven't even plugged anything in yet!). I've read on some forums about this but that isn't my case. I'm assuming this error has to do with Realtek.

I've done every possible thing such as re-installing the sound drivers, disabling the sound and enabling it again, closed all running processes one at a time, but could not find any feasible solution. Maybe the sound board is dying out from heating or something?

I'd appreciate any help from anybody. I still use the computer for experiments and programming tho, not for games or anything fancy. Thanx!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's wrong with my computer? (Realtek ALC-661 Sound error)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's wrong with my computer? (Realtek ALC-661 Sound error)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Specs

Sorry I forgot to mention. My old computer's specs are:

Asrock P4-945 chipset
P4-3ghz
1gb ram
onboard video (gma 945)
450watt psu
80gb hdd

Now I also know it's not because of low disk space because I still have like 20 gigs left.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanx!

Collapse -
Answer
Check and review
by Willy / July 6, 2012 11:32 PM PDT

Be 100% sure you have the right audio driver for your Realtek installed. There are various Realtek drivers available even for the same version or level of ALC installed. Many times if the wrong version is used, the suite that in some cases is part of the install can overload or drive unwanted options and/or supply unwanted options that don't exist. Even though this is a Asrock made mtrbd., it may best since this is based on Intel 945 chipset besides Asrock and see what they provide for the latest audio driver. Understand, you MUST be sure what you have, as i use PCWizard 2012 that reports actual found results. The results can be used to compare what s/w is being used to drive this or that and/or fetch the proper drivers.

the flip side is to check all bkgrd. running pgms. as well. Remove or disable unknown pgm.s and the like. You can also check the "startup" from msconfig area and see what is getting loaded. A XP based PC with 1gb of ram is not always good enough if too much is going on. Review what present in msconfig area and act upon your inspection. You can disable and reboot to check results to determine what maybe getting all the attention. the other side of this is using the "task manager" review of actual pgms. in use and see what is happening there.

tada -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
solved!
by yanto_schaap / July 7, 2012 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Check and review

Hey Willy,

Thanx for your input! I downloaded the PC wizard and what I suspected from before was right! Apparently it was the audio bus controller which got written somehow by a Russian version. Anyways I re-installed the whole version and now it's running smoothly again with no lags!

Anyways thanx for your help! Darn things been bugging me for months!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?