Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

What's with the "ad" up there?

by darkdestiny7 / August 14, 2007 8:52 AM PDT

OK, I've posted this thread before that in the Virus and Security section, thinking that my problem is related to an infection. I've been advised to post at this section instead... so, here I am.

Ok, since a couple of weeks ago, and about more than half the time I explore CNET Download.com, I kept seeing a white bar right on top of the webpage. I do not know what it is, but I think it's related to a spate of increase in the Advertising category Tracking Cookie, com.com, that has been detected by my scanners like Ad-Aware and Advanced WindowsCare.

mods, is there a reason to the word-only advertising for Download.com, and is there a solution to get rid of it?

Just for info, I have been visiting Download.com for ages with Mozilla Firefox, with NoScript and AdBlock Plus installed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's with the "ad" up there?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's with the "ad" up there?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A bit of additional information
by darkdestiny7 / August 14, 2007 11:33 AM PDT

I've tried moving the cursor over the word ads above (they appear commonly in the site of CNET Download.com, i.e. the Download section of this CNET website.) and it always indicate dw.com.com. I wanted to block it using NoScript but there's no "dw.com.com" indicated; only i.com.com and d.com.com are the closest matches.

Collapse -
I
by Me, Myself and You / August 28, 2007 8:03 PM PDT

I have the white bar too, on every machine I have used so far. It contains text. Ad related. Its normal!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.