Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

What's this 'Windows Registration'?

by jas0nhe / September 10, 2005 1:37 AM PDT

My new laptop periodically shows this information balloon in the task tray, wanting me to register Windows.

Do I need to do this? I don't remember registering Windows with my previous computers.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's this 'Windows Registration'?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's this 'Windows Registration'?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a new thing with XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2005 1:43 AM PDT

You may have used the prior versions of Windows. Frankly, piracy has continued to run unabated and this is Microsoft's response.

-> There are positive effects from registering. For instance if you do register a retail copy of XP then you can call in and get a replacement CD for very cheap compared to those that didn't register and 'lost' their receipts, etc.

Activation is another side effect of rampant piracy. It's a shame it had to come to this.

Bob

Collapse -
Previously used XP
by jas0nhe / September 10, 2005 3:11 AM PDT

This was the only time I had encountered the balloon in the task tray pop up, asking me to register.

Is it going to pop up again? If registration isn't required, and XP is going to work fine with it, then I think I won't bother registering.

Collapse -
Registration
by El Alquimista / September 10, 2005 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Previously used XP

so far as I know, has always been associated with XP. Perhaps wherever you got your previous system from registered it for you; this was the case for my last desktop.

Should you register? Absolutely -- it costs nothing but a couple minutes of your time. If you don't register, you will not get certain support from Microsoft if you need it in the future.

Frank

Collapse -
Registration
by Themisive / September 10, 2005 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Registration

Not only that, but you WILL NOT be asked to register again, unless of course you have to re-install the whole system. As Frank says, it's well worth doing and it's only a couple of minutes of your time, because without activation, you will be denied ALL updates - MS do this because of piracy.

The only other time you may be asked to activate something is if you get a copy of Windows Office XP and put this on your machine. You just get asked to activate that.

As usual it's the old story of a few spoiling things for others.

Collapse -
I register. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2005 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Previously used XP

I can call in and get replacement media if need be without hassle. Your choice.

Bob

Collapse -
Gee, I've never registered my XP
by Ray Harinec / September 10, 2005 7:48 AM PDT

with SP2 and have never gotten a screen asking me to.

Four systems installed using XP Pro OEM CD's bought from newegg [one from mwave]. Activated, of course, and verified when making new updates, but never asked to register.

Collapse -
Have you ever
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 10, 2005 7:51 AM PDT

been required to go through the checking process when you goto Microsoft for Microsoft Updates Ray?

Mark

Collapse -
Yes and it verifies immediatly.
by Ray Harinec / September 10, 2005 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Have you ever

I thought that I had already mentioned that. I said "verifies", I forget what the process is actually called.

I do not believe that process checks registration from what I have read, it checks activation is my understanding. Why would MS care about registration? They were all OEM CD's so MS would not provide any support anyway for other type support.

Collapse -
Maybe a fix. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 10, 2005 12:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
You better register
by okibaby / September 10, 2005 7:56 PM PDT

If you dont you won't be able to use your computer.
Serious matter1. Just click register when online.

Collapse -
Please explain exactly how serious
by Ray Harinec / September 12, 2005 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: You better register

this matter is!! I believe that it is possible that you are confusing "Register" with "Activate". Activate is manadory, register is totally optional.

Collapse -
600 bucks serious?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2005 7:05 AM PDT

A poor(er) soul lost their full version full retail full price Office 2003 Premium Mucho Mucho CD and more. If they had registered, it would be 35 bucks for replacement media and the CD Key.

Only now do they wonder why pundits told them not to register.

Cha-ching? "It's the money?" "A little prevention?"

Pick your reason but why not register?

Bob

Collapse -
I guess that I can't believe that people pay
by Ray Harinec / September 12, 2005 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: 600 bucks serious?

such a price and lose the CD et al, but I guess that it is true.

Collapse -
I've known people who
by glb613 / September 12, 2005 8:19 PM PDT

threw away a program CD thinking they didn't need it anymore. If you read these forums for any length of time, you'll find people lose almost everything.

Collapse -
YOU HAVE TO REGISTERY YOUR COPY
by kym7233 / September 13, 2005 1:59 PM PDT

YOU BASICALLY FILL IN THE INFO AND IT SENDS IT TO MICROSOFT, ITS NOT A BIG DEAL... UNLESS YOU DON"T HAVE YOU MICROSOFT CD REGISTRATION CODE...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.