TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What's the next TV tech?

by Alex Ciba / March 27, 2006 5:10 PM PST

I've been looking at the current line up of TVs and want to wait for TVs to support 1080p, but when is that gonna' be? I thought I heard something about SED or some TV tech that is coming out next year.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's the next TV tech?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's the next TV tech?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
theres always new stuff comming out
by masterying01 / March 27, 2006 9:09 PM PST

led dlp rear projections, flat panel crt's, 100inch plasma's, 65inch lcd's, 1080p dlp's with actual 1920x1080 mirrors instead of wobulation, lcos, blah blah blah, yadi yadi yada.

first generation HD DVD's will not support 1080p, it will only support 1080i/720p. blue-ray will do 1080p you will not see a difference between 1080p or 1080i signals on a 1080p tv right now cause these tv's only upscale the picture to 1080p (unless you use firewire...but who actually does that in real life situations). tv broadcasts will not be 1080p for a VERY VERY long time.

you will spend your life savings trying to keep up with technology. most likely, there are at least 3 different tv's out there that will do everything that u are looking for. go head and get it.....and most likely you will be very happy. dont get fooled by the number game. 10,000:1 contrast or 1080p doesnt always mean the tv is better.

Collapse -
SMELLIVISION AND MOVING COUCH
by stewart norrie / March 28, 2006 5:46 AM PST

Ha Ha Any technology out there will give you a movie quality picture and I think hi-def is the hottest thing since the light bulb. Also I believe if you compaired these l.c.d. i.l.a,d.l.p and plasma sets side by side, perfectily set up witha super quality vidio signal I dont think you would see any difference have a nice day stewart

Collapse -
Stew, they already have moving couches
by Dan Filice / March 28, 2006 6:24 AM PST

I saw home theatre sofas with recliners that have vibrating mechanisims in them that respond to the audio signal being fed to the subwoofer. I also saw (at Target I think) a fun rocking recliner that is geared toward the video gamer that has stereo built into the head area and it also vibrates with the audio signals. It would be fun to do something like this.

Collapse -
DAN MORE ON MOVING COUCH
by stewart norrie / March 29, 2006 6:30 AM PST

I read an ad in one of those home theater magazines , It used motors to move the couck and was hooked up to your d.v.d. player. Well you would buy incoded movies from them that would move your couch around, also I love to go to Las vagas to go on the virtiul reality rides stewart

Collapse -
SED DELAYED AGAIN TIL 2007/08
by BONSPEED / March 28, 2006 9:47 AM PST

toshiba and canon has once again delayed sed tv production until 2007, hoping to hit the market for the 2008 olympics. despite reports of sed tvs' impressive capabilties' (refresh rates of 1 millasecond / 100,000 to 1 contrast ratio), flat panel prices has dropped faster then expected making it more diffcult to keep sed tvs cost down to compete. Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?