Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What's the most spam you've gotten in a week?

by mdstout58 / September 7, 2006 2:55 PM PDT

I'll get about 2,000 spam messages a week that Yahoo blocks, and it doesn't catch about 4. Am I the only one with horrendous spam problems?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's the most spam you've gotten in a week?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's the most spam you've gotten in a week?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's the most spam you've gotten in a week?
by Bob__B / September 8, 2006 5:34 AM PDT

I don't seem to have much of an issue with spam.

Perhaps 4 or 6 a day.

My ISP does not block spam.
I don't run a spam blocker.

Some things that might help a little.

Be malware free.
Chose an addy that's not such an easy hit for the spammer's mass mailers.
Don't open or respond to spam.
Be careful where you post your addy...public boards are spam magnets.

Collapse -
Comparison: AIM vs. Personal vs. Netscape vs. Yahoo
by NickMets7 / September 8, 2006 6:23 AM PDT

Hello all,

I have a few e-mail addresses (one that is personal that I never give out except to friends); a Netscape/AIM e-mail for promotions, etc, and Yahoo. Now, since I have all of these, here's an interesting find:

Personal: Somehow I still get appx. 50 spam messages per day that all end up in my Junk folder (Outlook).

AIM/Netscape: >1 spam message per day, and rarely do any make it into my inbox.

Yahoo: More than 500 messages per day. So, my thoughts? Yahoo is selling your addresses to marketing companies. I never gave out this address and in the first weeks recieved spam. Now it serves as my e-mail for the sketchiest of promotions. About 5 out of every few hundred will get past the filter.

That's my comparison. Anyone else want to chime in?

- Nick

Collapse -
I Tend to Agree. I Have Suspected (No Proof) That Web....
by tobeach / September 8, 2006 4:17 PM PDT

services like Yahoo, AOL,etc.,etc. contact spammer (after you've identified them) and suggest they'll be blocked unless they pay so much per for access to "their" mail boxes. I noticed w/Hotmail, Once I stopped Notifying MS that this item was spam (about 3 months ago) I had an immediate & continuing reduction in spam day by day. Starting from about 30 per day down to an average of 3-4 now. I just "empty folder" not check box & delete.
I suspect similar behavior when it comes to their free anti-spyware protection. Only lets in their own spyware & adware. Only keeping out others. Easy, they just don't include their own in the detections list.
My cable company sold of it's entire customer list to Yahoo. I specifically avoided anything to do with Yahoo by not using their "Install Disk" and not allowing Yahoo Toolbar etc onto my machine. Why do I need 8 Free Yahoo Mail Addies full of spam?
I'm a pretty paranoid type but..I can only guess at the size of the icebergs hiding under the tips I do see. Angry

Collapse -
Too many
by Hyperspace / September 8, 2006 6:53 AM PDT

Before I finally had to set my Hotmail settings to the strictest spam filter possible, I would receive as many as 30 junk e-mails per day.

Collapse -
I Have Only 1 Suggestion for You, My Friend, Get.....
by tobeach / September 8, 2006 4:28 PM PDT

yourself another Free Address and give that one to ONLY Family & Friends (not including ones who do the Fwd,Fwd,Fwd...thing, especially those who don't use the B.C.C option to strip out the other addresses) with STRICT Instructions to never breathe the addie out on pain of being blocked, and never post the new one to any site. Should reduce the load to something less than Migraine Level (maybe..). HappyGrin

Collapse -
It is my free account
by mdstout58 / September 9, 2006 7:07 AM PDT

The yahoo one is the one I use when I am subscribing to stuff, and I use my Gmail and AT&T Yahoo! ones for correspondence to teachers and friends. What suprises me, though is the amount of spam Yahoo! blocks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?