TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What's the difference between coax & fiber optic cables?

by ronnie771 / February 24, 2005 7:48 AM PST

I own a Logitech Z-5500 speaker system. I would like to add a digital cable to the system, but am confused between the two cables. What's the difference, if any? HELP!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's the difference between coax & fiber optic cables?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's the difference between coax & fiber optic cables?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by 3luke3 / February 24, 2005 10:41 PM PST

Both digital cables send the same type of signal (& I would recomend either one to anybody because digital is the way to go). the coax does it with electricity (electrons, voltage, pulses of current if you will) & the fiber-optics cable does it with optics (with light, or photons). If you can keep the digital cable relatively free from sharp bends & too much winding... then go ahead go with the optics cable, it will be virtually untouchable by electromagnetic noise that may be around your components. If it will be wound quite a bit or have to round a few corners... then go with the coax cable, it isn't affected as much by the bending. If you wanna know why, I'll reply again.

Collapse -
Optical cables
by bogie1 / February 25, 2005 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: ok...

Do you think 30 ft is too far for optical?

Collapse -
by 3luke3 / February 25, 2005 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: Optical cables

I've never tried it, but I would think that it should work. even though the RMS strength of the light signal probably drops a tad bit over 30ft (compared to 6ft), it is still a digital signal and its impervious to EM interference (because its optical).

In a nutshell, I have no practical experience to say "yes it works", but if you can find such a cable... you should try it & post what components you used with it & whether or not it worked. With digital... its very hard to get degraded performance... so usually either it works or it doesn't.

Collapse -
Optic cable lenth
by pjazz / March 1, 2005 2:06 PM PST
In reply to: hmm...

I have the logitech 680 and use the Optic cable. I haven't used the coax, but compared to the anolog input the sound is night and day. I don't think distance is an issue with fiber just remember it's basically glass inside the cable, so you can curve it around corners but not bend it.

Collapse -
by acebreathe / March 1, 2005 3:32 PM PST
In reply to: Optic cable lenth

The main difference bewtween the two is the way they connect to the receiver. The coaxial fits securely on the input jack and is more like a standard analog cable, and is probably better for a longer run. An optical cable can distort sound with just a slight kink in the cable. They both produce excellent sound.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?