Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

what's the difference between a ..

by leeman1 / January 14, 2010 4:45 AM PST

I am trying to ask for advise. I currently own an SBI website which has taken me a couple of years to build. It has been very frustrating. I have finally come to understand that because I was born before the computer generations, and I never formally studied anything about them, what I am constantly faced with is a language (like being in a country where I don't speaka de language) barrier. I admit that Site Build it has tremendous and powerful tools, however I have only been able to build about 30 pages, am really stuck and am just at the point where I would be able to add forums to my website. However, I am so frustated I am looking for something else. So - I have found a product on cnet (website X-5 evolution Cool which makes site building seem fairly simple. However, it seems that it is hosted by someone else. I had checked other programs that I found referenced when I looked up explanations in Wikipedia, and then I found artisteer (also on cnet) that referred me to joomla and ASP NET and dotnetnuke - - I am getting confused with the tools. It seems that joomla is a content management system (can I create a forum in this but not in artisteer? I know SBI has all of these tools combined but the very much 'touted' teaching video's and system really is not visual nor does it make it easy to understand the 'tech' language fundamentals. Hence my website does not look, feel or operate nor is it structured the way I would like it to be. I am in the process of deciding to let my SBI website go and start all over with a simpler visual program website builder and trying to find a new host. When I was researching, it seems that the Php thing and a few other techie things are necessarey and I already know that cheap hosts don't necessarily work out too well. I want to include forums and a shopping cart but I also want people to be safe when they come to my site. What tools do I really need? really getting confused. And what is a php?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what's the difference between a ..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what's the difference between a ..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Answers
by Sovereign Forum moderator / January 14, 2010 10:08 PM PST
It seems that joomla is a content management system (can I create a forum in this but not in artisteer?

There are extensions for Joomla that allow you to integrate a forum. Here are a few: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/communication/forum

What tools do I really need?

You need a Web host that will support the language (PHP/ASP) and content management system (CMS) you wish to use, hence it's better to decide on what it is you want to accomplish first. You mentioned a forum and shopping cart. Both of them are available open source (free) as stand-alone products, but if you are looking for a more integrated solution, you may want to pick a CMS that has these things available. Most of the time you can visit a CMS' Web site to see what they have available.

If you didn't want to use a CMS, which is a separately installed system that you have full control over, you could use the site builder that is sometimes Web host specific. This is not recommended because if you ever needed to change hosts, you're Web site would be a hassle to transfer and could not be easily maintained.

The other solution is to use a software Web builder such as Dreamweaver, Expression Web, etc, which has a learning curve as well. The benefit of that is that you can work on your Web site without being connected to the Internet, however if you're online all the time anyway, a CMS would probably be the most efficient solution.

You also mentioned something about "cheap hosts don't necessarily work out too well". I find that $4 or $5 a month is pretty cheap and you can get a reliable and friendly Web host for that price.

And what is a php?

PHP is a server-side language. You will most likely need to be familiar with either PHP or ASP if you want to make heavy customizations to your CMS, Shopping Car or Forum, however most everything has a user-friendly GUI that let's you change the basics.

~Sovereign
Collapse -
joomla & hosting
by igen73 / February 5, 2010 11:11 PM PST
In reply to: Answers

joomla is a good choice, I don't think you have to stay with your current apps if it's not running well.
It also have a huge community to support you, just go to http://forum.joomla.org there are many video tutorials you may fing in YouTube to assist you.

regarding webhosting just go to http://www.1on1webhosting.com - there are some good hosting provider you can choose. Also you can have a good bargain using hosting coupon.

Collapse -
What You're Trying to Learn Isn't Easy
by HavinFun2Day / January 26, 2010 3:29 AM PST

Hi Leeman

I'm an SBIer and just stumbled across your post. I'm very sorry to hear you are having problems and are thinking about bailing. Sad

Is there anything I can help you with? Also, have you tried asking for help in the SBI forums? There are lots of wonderful people there who can help you. If I were you, I'd post something there and make it known you are having trouble.

Now I don't have a clue where you're at in other respects, but there is also SBI! Coaching. Perhaps someone one on one to help you over some rough spots could straighten things out for you.

Ken Evoy himself says SBI! isn't for everyone. There is a lot of study and a lot to learn. I'm afraid that going to another product with more high tech language could make it worse, but you should do what you think is right and what is best for you.

If you want to get more help, go to the SBI forums and ask. I had my days of frustration, too, but over time I learned alot of what I was stressed about was just a matter of persistence. It's hard to know that though until you get through it and to the other side. Wink

I wish you the best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

Take care!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.